1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[InternetExplorer] Tools > Internet Options wont work?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by r00ted, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

In Internet Explorer, when i goto Tools > Internet Options, I get a dialog box that says:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Well, it's a home/family PC, and Im the main user of it. How can I get access to the Internet Options?

2. pinntech

pinntech

Go to....

START -> CONTROL PANEL -> USERS

Make sure your account has ADMINISTRATOR rights.

If the above is true, you might want to check...

START -> RUN -> GPEDIT.MSC

Look under....

USER CONFIGURATION
    ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES (expand this one)
    WINDOWS COMPONENTS (expand this one)
    INTERNET EXPLORER (expand this one)
    Internet Control Panel -> look to see if any of those have been ENABLED, if they are, DISABLE them.

If that doesn't work or is not the problem, post another message and we'll look at a different issue area.

Shane

3. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

GPEDIT.MSC doesnt/wont work on my Windows XP Home computer, I think that is an XP Pro command only. And yea, Im the Administrator, and only account.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This is due to the presence of "NoBrowserOptions" registry key present here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]

Setting the value for NoBrowserOptions to "0" solves the problem.

5. TOGG

TOGG

Subject to kiwiguy's suggested Registry fix, I wonder if you have Spybot installed?.

6. lonise

lonise

Thanks, but I didnt find where can I change it to "0". In which directory/file should I do it ?

7. lonise

lonise

Yes I have Spybot installed.

8. lonise

lonise

I did change the setting you suggested do disabled (they were as NOT CONFIGURED), but I still have the problem... Sorry if I am ansewring in the wrong position, but it is my first time in Tech Supprot Guy Forums. This is the reply for "pintech suggestion".

9. TOGG

TOGG

If you have Spybot set to Advanced mode, it is possible to inadvertently lock your self out of IE settings.

Open Spybot and go to 'Tools' then 'IE Tweaks' and check under 'Miscellaneous locks' and check that you haven't locked IE settings and control panel. If you have, remove the ticks.

10. lonise

lonise

TOGG: Sorry to disapoint you... My Spybot (S&D 1.2) has no 'Tools', only "File', 'Language'and 'Help'. And no 'Tools' under any of them...

11. TOGG

TOGG

Well it was worth a try. You would only have those options in Advanced, not the Default mode.

More importantly, your Spybot is out of date and you should get v.1.3 if you intend to keep using the program.

12. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

13. sekirt

sekirt

Spybot 1.2 did have settings for restricting Internet Explorer. Since I updated long ago, I can't tell you where to look for them. But if you do a thorough, careful, search, I am sure you would find them.

Regardless, it really is necessary to update to the newer version. It completely replaces v 1.2.

sekirt

14. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

It was in the immunize feature. Run that and un do the immunization.

15. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

Ok fixed it :p yea, it was SPybot S&D I guess that did it :p BTW, I didnt have to undo the immunization (I would never do that :X sooo much **** out there atm). But it was under Tools > IE Tweaks or whatever.

fixed. thx

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice