1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internett problems :/

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vegj, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

For the past few weeks my internett connection have been somewhat reduced. I can still surf the internett, chat via msn, send emails and download from http servers. On the other hand i can no longer connect to mIRC, (forgive me for saying this.. i've read the rules) use utorrent and similar programs (iTunes is legal right? =>).

There is nothing wrong with my router/modem as there is other computers in my network operating as usual.

So if someone could plz help me i would be most thankful. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

3. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

4. JohnWill

You need to configure your router to respond to PING requests, normally on the Tools page.

5. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

i use a SpeedTouch router and i cant find anything about responding to ping request. Besides this was never a problem before...

One more thing that came to my mind was the open ports in my router, (for instance in order to host games on battle.net you require to keep port 6112 open) seems to be closed. Although they are correctly forwarded in my router and linked specific to this computer it appears as if they are closed. Ergo i cant host games on battle.net

6. JohnWill

The exact model of the router would be a big help. ;)

7. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

SpeedTouch

Information

Product Name: SpeedTouch 5x6
    Serial Number: CP0551CHNRV
    Software Release: 6.1.0.5

8. JohnWill

The model number should be around there somewhere. 5x6 is the generic number for the whole 500 family.

Try turning off the firewall in that router, see if that lets the PINGS through. The Line Quality Test is pretty useless without the ability to PING the router.

9. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

Well it says in the manual "Speedtouch 546T Routermodem". The Firewall was never turned on :)

10. JohnWill

Well, the bad news is, I found that it's very difficult to enable PINGS on your router. Apparently the arrogant folks at Thompson don't think this is a useful feature. :rolleyes: Popular opinion is that you have to use their scripting language to tinker with features like that.

11. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

^^ well but... what if the the problems i'm having causes me to not be pingable.. Just a theory..

12. JohnWill

It's probably not related at all to PINGS, since the same equipment worked just fine, and it wasn't pingable then either. :D

The ability to PING just allows us to run a good line quality test.

I think I'd call your ISP and complain, since it sure seems to be a line quality issue.

13. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

hmm... as i mentioned i dont believe it has something to do with my line, but i suppose it doesnt hurt trying :). I'll do the line quality test on the other computer in the network and let you know the result.

14. JohnWill

Since the router doesn't respond to PINGS, none of the computers will run that line quality test.

15. vegj

vegj Thread Starter

My internett providers says that they cant do anything about making my router/line pingable (doubt they even know what it means, not that i do :rolleyes: ).

Is there any other test/way to determine what my problem is`?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice