1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internext Explorer 7 Not Responding Please Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by foleyj, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foleyj

foleyj Thread Starter

This is the situation, I have 2 laptops I am running local host internet explorer 7 power database software. I can not use any other browser, unfortunately they only support Internet Explorer. This database software, uses adobe PDFs to as documents.

Both laptops are running Windows XP Pro, SP 3... both have 1 GB of RAM..

This is what occurs... it randomly occurs, but I can recreate by Opening multiple documents in different pages of the database and then closing them. Then attempting to opening a couple more. The system becomes non-responsive and I have to alt-ctrl-del and end task.

I am about ready to pull my hair out... I have done all the microsoft fixes... I have disabled the add-ons... I have removed SP 3... I have increased the virutal memory... If it was just one of the machines I would think malaware, but one of them I totally killed and rebuilt.. both machines are running Kaspersky 6.0 work station...

Please help... Thanks

2. draceplace

draceplace

What is "internet explorer 7 power database software" ? Adobe is quite a resourse hog, open up multiples large pdfs would tax any system.

3. foleyj

foleyj Thread Starter

IE 7 is the UI we are forced to use in nagativing through our company's software. It uses SQL to maintain the database.

I know the Adobe is a massive resource hog, but we are again forced to use it.

We are currently not the only office that is experiencing this and it has begun occuring on the desktops also.

4. draceplace

draceplace

This could be anything but system resources seem to be the obvious culprit. Run task manager while opening files. Note the values in the 'performance tab' particularly the page file useage as things are slowing down.

Also if this is a recent development perhaps a new version of Acrobat Reader has been installed? Check for previous versions still in add/remove programs. AR doesn't play well with itself.

One more idea...I've heard (not seen) that corrupt temp files can cause AR to misbehave. These are acr*.tmp . Wouldn't hurt to delete all those.

5. foleyj

foleyj Thread Starter

The page file stays constant. This is occuring on machines that have Adobe 8 standard, and Adobe 6 standard. Nothin seems to really peak during the incidents that cause IE 7 to become non-responsive. And multiple identical machines are not have the same issues, some crash and some never do... No visable difference between them

6. draceplace

draceplace

Are we talking Adobe Acrobat or Reader? Are there machines that don't have this problem? Is Adobe opening within IE 7 or standalone?

Did you look at the acr*.tmp situation? Is this a recent situation or has it been ongoing for a while?

7. foleyj

foleyj Thread Starter

This situation has been going on a while. We have been trying to correct it internal (which means they all look to me). Machines that have Adobe Acrobat 8 and ones with Adobe Acrobat 6 are both having the problem. We do not have any other versions of Adobe running in the office. There are identical machines that one has the problem and the other doesn't. I am wondering if we are just dealing with the way people use them, aka having multiple PDFs open, Switching in between database pages... compared to people that usually work with just one pdf at a time. Plus we are getting a new laptop, I heard it is top of the line, but I don't get to see the specs to AFTER we purchase them.. so if it's not that good, I get to tell the boss..

I have googled the situation and it seems to occur with IE 7 w/ a multiple of individual programs... Adobe Acrobat, SQL, etc...

I would prefer using Firefox for the browser interface, but the software company doesn't support or test on Firefox.

8. draceplace

draceplace

I tend to agree - a lot of your problem is user related. Even I get carried away and/or lazy and get a lot of things open on my computer while executing a remote query and lock things up...The people just keep opening up apps and expecting the IT department to make it work. Ideally you would put a logger/task monitor on the problem cases and then you could definitively say 'you have too much stuff open'! Its not a good situation in that other problems get blamed on 'thats just the way these computers are' and fixable issue are not addressed.

Laptops create a whole new set of maintenance issues especially if they are not used as the workstation. When they(laptops) come in recommend more memory unless they are maxed out. That way your covered when people claim they are too slow!.

Develop some policy where its the users responsibility to log it on to the network once a month to get updates and refresh passwords and stuff. You may want to develop a different DHCP/DNS leasing policy if the laptops jump on and off the network frequently. Most common trouble tickets will be: slow loading (doing virus\ms updates) and not having the correct password.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!