1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Interupt..? Fighting PCIs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Blue76, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blue76

Blue76 Thread Starter

OK, First, thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past. Here's an iteresting situation..

I am paying for 8.0 internet speed. Last week I was getting roughly 250-500 or less than one. So I call my provider and they say it's probably the modem, so they come out and replace it, dude leaves and no connection, tool tip etc, I call the provider again and they reboot the modem, everything is cool and I'm getting like 10.0. I install a sound card and driver and as soon as the driver is installed I get no IP and no connection .I yank the sound card (I mean, who needs sound AND internet..) I call the provider back and they say that everything on their end is working and that I either need a new ethernet cord or card, being that my PCI ethernet card is 7+ years old, I go and buy a new card. No luck. I call back. The kid at tech support can't figure it out, he finnally thinks that expired anti-virus software is blocking the connection, So I restore back to before anything was installed including the driver for the sound card. Tah-dah! 10.0 again! Again I try to install the sound card and driver and and again no IP, Re-install the OS and 10.0 again. I decide to live without sound and to never turn off the PC.. This morning, just to see what'll happen, with the pc running,(don't try this at home) I shove the SC in and automaticly I'm at 145kbps. I pull the card and no change. I'm really fearful of shutting down the PC.
    Any clues to this problem is greatly appriciated..

Also, I have run CMD> ipconfig> release and renew in dos.
    And I took it to a programmer here in Austin and he was somewhat baffled and short on time. In his shop I was able to get out to his network, but not past the sub-net mask (i could be wrong) and the "Stack" is intact. If both PCI slots are using the same interupt line there would be a conflict...?

hALP!! Thanks,
    Blue76

System:
    XP Pro
    V.2002
    SP 2
    AMD Athlon, 1.25

2. Blue76

Blue76 Thread Starter

After getting less that 1 kbps (and eventually nothing) from putting in the soundcard, I restored back to yesterday and now i'm back to 10.0+. This is a mystery, and at the very least, it'd be nice to know why it's doin what it's doin for educational reasons..
    TY,

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Clearly this is a problem with incorrect sound card driver (not likely) or a conflict between the sound and ethernet cards; not a networking problem. Suggest you double check the sound card driver. Assuming you have a correct one, click on "Report" (below right of your post) and ask a moderator to move your thread to the Hardware forum.

4. Blue76

Blue76 Thread Starter

I requested this thread to be moved.
    --
    There is no Driver for the soundcard installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!