Intresting Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

apu318

I downloaded a dvd screener off of kazaa, James Bond: Die Another Day. I can't say it is pirated because I have the actual DVD! I wanted it on my computer. The problem is, when I opened it, I saw a message that said something about pirating and the movie disabled my windows. WMP froze with that message on my screen and it crashed my system. After I restarted I cannot log into windows. As soon as I sign in my wallpapper flashes very quickly and then says logging off, saving setting. I am sure that it is the movie because it never happened before the movie was on my hard drive and it had happened once before, but I didnt realize that it was the movie. I am able to log in through safemode. I am thinking that there is a registry key that logs me back out when i start it up. Whats the differnce between logging in in Safe Mode and normal windows? Any ideas? all my school stuff is on there...:( thanks for your time

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I guess my first question would be is your Windows a legal copy ;)

And second, you can't say it's pirated because you have the actual DVD? Lol....get real, if you downloaded a 'pirated' copy, it's just that......

apu318

its my friends copy so i guess no... and I have the dvd, it would be no different if I downloaded it or ripped it with a DVD-ROM, methods dont matter, it only matters if you own a copy or not. I check with local laws a little while ago for a highschool debate.

apu318

It is like those SNES or N64 roms, if you dont own it you must delete in 24 hours. Except with movies you cant have it at all if you dont own it.

crjdriver

You do not say what os you are using. You might try either running sfc [system file checker] or if that does not work boot from the cd and do a repair of windows. After you fix this get rid of kazaa; if you must use file sharing, use winmx.

crjdriver

If you do not own the copy of windows, then I cannot give you any more help. You must purchase a legal copy of windows.
Your friend can give you the windows disk as long as he transfers all materials, manuals, rights of ownership, etc. to you [and he deletes the software from his computer]

AcaCandy, just curious, what made you think his OS was pirated? My first guess would have been the movie studio putting a "ringer" file onto Kazaa as bait to the pirates. I know the music studios have been flooding the P2P file share programs with fake music files.

apu318

well yea, he gave me everything, he hates xp and is using 98se on his computer now so its not pirated. i am using his cd key for xp which is on the original disc. (hooray for holograms)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by DVOM:
AcaCandy, just curious, what made you think his OS was pirated? My first guess would have been the movie studio putting a "ringer" file onto Kazaa as bait to the pirates. I know the music studios have been flooding the P2P file share programs with fake music files.

Originally posted by apu318:
I saw a message that said something about pirating and the movie disabled my windows.
I'd say that statement is what got my curiosity up........

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, try to restore to a different day?

start->programs->accessories->system tools->system restore

restore to the day before you downloaded the file.

AcaCandy, there was a thread on this or another forum about a virus someone had gotten that gave an error message about pirated OS's and the posters OS was disabled. When he called the organization mentioned in the error message they said they wouldn't help pirates. They were quite nasty with him.

However, when he called M$ and gave them his OS key, they told him his OS was in fact legal as he had legally registered it and said to go ahead and reload it.

I don't think M$ is actively disabling pirated OS's in the manner apu318 has experienced. At least they're not admitting to it.

Edit: However, someone else is in fact doing it and it isn't always targeted accurately. I think apu318 d/l'ed the virus with the movie. (apu318, that movie is pirated as far as the movie studio's are concerned. If you want it and own it just rip it.)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
DVOM, like I said, it got my curiosity up. Then he said he used his friend's copy.....Where did his friend's copy come from. Sometimes, where there's smoke, there's fire......sometimes, it is just an honest mistake. I'd rather error on the safe side ;)

And don't be mistaken that if you download an XP pirated copy and try to do the updates that it won't be disabled ;)

AcaCandy, I agree with you entirely. I just find it odd that it came in on a d/l'ed movie.

WMP9... avoid it like the plague!!! It checks for DMCA tags on EVERY file you play. Unfortunately, there is no way to "uninstall" WMP9, other than sys restore. My advice is point all your media files to be played with an alternative prog... I did

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online