1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Introduction and LOTS of questions....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nuke, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nuke

Nuke Thread Starter

Well let me start off saying hi! I'm Manny, aka Nuke, like that name?

Now that's settled, I got some stuff on my mind that I think some of you might be able to answer. I know it might sound stupid and all, but I really want to get into computers.

The following questions might sound wierd and all, but it doesn't hurt asking. Copy and paste the questions and then answer them please.

1. What in the world is a barebone system? I see them floating around at tigerdirect.com and pricewatch.com (great sites). What is it? Is it a system that comes with only the harddrive, memory, proccessor and motherboard? Can some one explain it to me? I've come to a theory about what it might be. I believe that its a computer case (the tower) with a hard dish drive inside, cpu/motherboard/ and fan, and also it has memory in. No flopp disks or anything else. Am I correct or wrong?

2. If my theory is correct from question 1, can I do the following. I am short on cash (aren't we all?), so I was thinking that I could get a barebone (my theory idea) and then take everything out of my old computer (tower) such as the video card, the CDRW, DVD player, and everything else and install it into the barebone computer. The memory will be installed into my other computer and I'll give my hard disk drive to my ot her computer as well. I've heard that you can have two hard drives, is that true? If this can work, please answer it!

I'm just trying to save my self some money and some time. Thanks if you can reply to it and I can't get back.

Nuke

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Nuke

And Welcone to TSG

You need to read the fine print to see what is included with the bare bones system. Many times no drives are included. Usually a case, motherboard, processor and memory. You can probably use the video card, the CDRW, DVD player, floppy and hard drive out of your old system. Depending on the specs of the old and new systems the old memory may not work and the hard drive may be slower than a new one.

3. Nuke

Nuke Thread Starter

Thanks Lurker!

Well here's the deal. Right now I got a HP Pavillion. I got an Intel Celeron 533mhz in there alogn with 191 SDRAM. I got an ASUS Motherboard I believe. Along with that I have a CD-RW and a DVD Player. I use the CD-RW to install software etc. My operating system is Windows XP Pro. I got a NVIDIA graphics card in it, I can't remember which one, but I'll try to get the box out soon. Also I have a small 20 gb hard drive. (This is computer 1)

My other computer is a Gateway computer. I can't remember the type, but it has an Intel Celeron 1.3 ghz inside, 128 mb of SDRAM. It also has a 20 gb hard drive too. It's graphics card is horrible! When I mean horrible, I mean horrible! A mere 4mb lol! It has Windows Xp the normal version. It has one CD drive and thats all it needs. (This is computer 2)

Now I plan on getting a barebone with a big old harddrive, and an Intel CPU with amotherboard of course and lots of memory and a graphics card.(This is Computer 3)

I plan on taking the 191 SDRAM, 20 GB Harddrive, and the NVIDIA Graphics card from Computer 1 and installing it into Computer 2. Computer two will then have two Hard Drives of 20 GB, and 319 SDRAM I believe. Also a new graphics

That leaves Computer 1 with the CD RW and the DVD Player and some other hardware inside. I'm going to take the other hardware and put it into computer 3. Then I'm going to trash the case of Computer 1 or keep it and then I'll have a new computer.

Is this possible or am I just in la la land?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

Should be no problem doing what you want.

One thing I would suggest is posting the motherboard that comes with the system you are considering as most barebones I have seen have crap motherboards.

I would suggest staying away from motherboards made by PCChips, and ECS off the top of my head.

There are others.

5. Nuke

Nuke Thread Starter

Alright, thanks for the tip.

Now I got another question...

Doing all this might cost me a bundal. Now I've never ever installed any hardware, but I want to start doing that. Can someone link me to a site where I can do everything I asked for. I'll hit the library maybe 2morow or later on and check some books out.

If I have bestbuy do it, it'll cost a bundal too...

Thanks again!

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Barebones generally means you get the following:
    Case
    powersupply
    Motherboard
    CPU
    *memory and a floppy drive (not always)

Items that are usually additional are:
    harddrives
    CD-rom
    CDRW
    DVD
    Sound cards
    Video cards
    Network Interface card
    Modem
    More memory
    More case fans
    A really good Heatsink and fan for the CPU

The additional items you need will depend on the motherboard in the system. Some come with built in video, sound, and NIC.

www.accessmicro.com is a good place to start. Prices are not the lowest around but they install and test everything before shipping and have a good warranty.

Remember, www.pricewatch.com and www.newegg.com are your friends. :D

Good luck.
    JS

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice