1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intrusion Attempt Detected: Fin Scan

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Kalanadian, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kalanadian

Kalanadian Thread Starter

Ever since Dec 1 we've been getting a notice from our firewall saying it's blocked an intrusion attempt from Fin scan. Dec 2 alone we had 49 alerts. I'm not too concerned because apparently our computer is preventing it, but what I would like to know is what it is and where it is coming from. Is it coming from a particular site? Is there something I should be doing other than ignoring these firewall mesages?

Here are the details that are given:

Description: Intrusion attempt detected: Fin Scan

Action: Firewall has blocked this traffic
    Time: 05/12/2008 8:49:07 PM
    Direction: Inbound
    Protocol: tcp
    Services: TCP High ports in

Then it gives the remote address, remote port, local address and local port...

Thanks for any help!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Scans are just scouting probes. The attacker wants to see what program/services you have running. There isn't much you can do about them.

3. Kalanadian

Alright, so does it have to do with any specific websites I'm on? Or is it just a random thing...?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually it doesnt have anything to do with where you surf to. They just find random ip addresses to scan.

If you don't have a router, then get one, as it provides some protection and doesn't allow them to directly scan your PCs. Get one even if you only have 1 PC.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2

Sygate firewall has what they call Backtrace where you can track to see where it is coming from

6. Kalanadian

I already have a router.. this is only happening on my home computer not the laptop. It's just really annoying. It's popping up 20+ times a day..

7. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

See WHOIS at:

arin.net/whois/

8. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/776545