1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

invaled backweb application

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sassyone, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sassyone

sassyone Thread Starter

when i turn on my computer i get .
    invaled backweb application ID137903 . have no ider what this is thank you nube

2. chalky

chalky

Hello sassy... :) to enable anyone to help you will have to post details of your OS...

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Was this computer a hand-me-down??

4. chalky

chalky

Do you have either a Hewlet Packard or Compaq PC...if so then backWeb is a tool that comes pre-installed.

BackWeb is used for providing messages and software updates for your machine...

The error message is probably occurring because spyware removal software detected the Updates from HP/Compaq software utility (BackWeb) as spyware and removed it. Since only part of BackWeb is removed, it cannot fully load when Windows starts and the error message displays...

I think you would have to reinstall the system if you wanted to get it back...

EDIT... sorry I meant do a system restore...

5. sassyone

sassyone Thread Starter

thank you that was very helpful- this is a great site thanks again sassyone

6. lcb

lcb

Hello, just joined this site since I too, have just started receiving the following message - "Unexpected c-tree error" and when asked if I want to send Microsoft an error message - the message refers to Back Web-137903.

Am I to understand that this is an essential component and should not be deleted...

I ran Ad Aware after this happened and remove whatever....however, I had not run it in over a month or so....

Also did a full system restore about a month ago - because I was having admin problems with my computer...if, Chalky you are saying do another restore - when would you suggest?

OS - XP

Great resource....

7. chalky

chalky

Hello Icb and welcome to TSG... :)

I don't know much about XP so I suggest that you download HiJackThis... from here...

http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ or http://lurkhere.com/~nicefiles ...

Use Winzip to unzip it.. then install and run it...

HiJackThis.exe file is best installed in it's own folder... so before downloading create a folder and name it HiJackThis...then download HiJackThis to that folder... To run double click the HiJackThis.exe file...

Scan your system and post the log in security where someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you....DO NOT repeat DO NOT delete anything until someone advises you....

By system restore I mean roll back the reg to a previous restore point...

If you have either a Hewlet Packard or Compaq PC...then backWeb comes pre-installed and is used for providing messages and software updates for your machine....I have a HP Pav and don't see any neccessity for the BackWeb app....but that's just my opinion...

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    BackWeb is classed as spyware, but some manfacturers have it, like Compaq/HP and Logitech but some are actually spyware so be careful.

9. lcb

lcb

10. lcb

lcb

Thank you for your quick response.
    I have downloaded Hijack this - in its own file as directed.
    However, before I run it -
    I would like to know how I scan my system....to be able to post the log...
    I have seen other scans listed - so I know what it looks like....
    but want to make sure that I know how to do it correctly before I try.

Will take your advice and not delete anything until someones reviews the log.

I do have an HP Media Center and know that this was pre-installed.....just never had an issue with it before.

Since you have an HP Pav which is what I have did you delete the program - w/o any
    repercussions?

Thank you again...

Will wait for your response before I move forward.

L.

11. chalky

chalky

You just need to click on the dynamite icon and when it opens click scan...save the log if you want...then just copy and paste the contents into your post...don't miss any of it out though...

Post to the Security Forum with details of any problems you are having....someone there will be along to help you... (y)

I couldn't remember if I had uninstalled the Backweb...hadn't used it or seen it in a couple of years...just had a look in ' Start Up ' it's there but not checked...all that I have checked is Scan Reg...System Tray...Load Power Profile...CD...and my AVG Anti Virus....I'll uninstall the Backweb and see what happens... :eek: as Tidus said-it is a type of spyware....

12. chalky

chalky

13. lcb

lcb

So what do you suggest just delete the Back Web?
    Am assuming that you mean the dynamite icon on the Hijacker to copy the
    scan....now that you know it is spy ware what did you do?

Thanks for all your help with this.

:(

14. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle

I believe I have a temp solution to your problem. Start>Run>msconfig>startup tab> uncheck back web and restart. this will make it so backweb does not start when windows starts. It may not be on the list as back web. It will most likeley be in acronym form of some sort like "bkwb" for example. I hope that halpes :)

15. lcb

lcb

Thank you - did a run as suggested...did not see backweb or an acronym in services or startup programs...had an error message when I got on the computer this morning stating failed to load Back Web...

That's all I know for now.
    :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice