1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

invalid access to memory location

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mattwj1983, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mattwj1983

Mattwj1983 Thread Starter

Hi, I am using XP pro. when I boot up I get a message saying

Error loading C:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll
    Invalid access to memory location

I thought this may have been a video card problem, so I downloaded the newest drivers from Nvidia for my geforce4 420 pci card. but I still get the same error. my system is also rebooting while playing some different online games that I and other's in my family play.

Some other info that may help you help me is that I had a virus a week ago, it deleted some windows files on win98se. I tried reinstalling windows and it said the same files were missing, so I was going to do a low level format on the hard drive, but it would not complete because it said my hard drive was messed up and I needed to replace it... I bought a new HD and am getting the same errors with Win98se, and the above stated error with WinXP. a friend told me it may be a CMOS virus, how would I get rid of it if that is the trouble?

2. monted

monted

NvCpl.dll intializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards. Disable if you overclock your card. That's all I know.

3. monted

monted

4. monted

monted

i dont know if it is the RIGHT thing to do, but i have the same card and i've got it disabled in msconfig, just for kicks,lol, doesn't seem to have any effect to me.

5. UFOpro

UFOpro

I'm getting error code: Error loading C:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll, invalid access to memory location.

Below is the URL to see what my screen looks like. Help!

http://www.innwebhost.com/mess.jpg

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113731