1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

invalid boot diskette

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zorilla, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zorilla

zorilla Thread Starter

running win me.after turning on my computer i get INVALID BOOT DISKETTE INSERT BOOT DISKETTE IN A:
    if i try fdisk i get no fixed disks found.i reset bios to defaults.it is set to detect hardrive automaticially.changed the ide cable.changed the cmos battery and tried a different hardrive and still get the same error.

2. NT4.0

NT4.0

do you have any diskettes in your floppy drive when you boot?

3. norton850

norton850

The message implies there is a disk ('diskette") in the A drive. Is there?

4. zorilla

zorilla Thread Starter

no there isn't any disks in the A drive.

5. norton850

norton850

That's odd because that is what the message says. Maybe it just means it can't find one. Anyway go into BIOS make sure your hard drive is listed as the first boot device. Save and reboot

6. zorilla

zorilla Thread Starter

the hardrive is listed as the first bootup device.could it be a virus in the motherboard?

7. norton850

norton850

I doubt it. Do you have a floppy boot disk or Windows CD (is this 95 or 98). Is your hard drive showing up in BIOS.?

8. zorilla

zorilla Thread Starter

yes hardrive shows up in bios.i have a floppy boot disk and cd for windows.this is windows me.

9. norton850

norton850

Set BIOS to Boot from CD. Insert CD and try to boot up.

10. zorilla

zorilla Thread Starter

cannot boot into windows with me cd or emergency floppy.if i remove the cmos battery for a few hrs and then put it back in it will boot into windows for a very short time then restart and i get the invalid diskette error again.i think i have a virus in the cmos but dont know how to remove it..

11. zorilla

zorilla Thread Starter

come on somebody's gotta have had this problem before.is it the motherboard or what?

12. ned215

ned215

I'm having the EXACT same problem. After I reinstalled Windows XP I was able to do a virus scan with Norton and the didn't turn up anything. I also ran Adawsre to check for spyware and the only thing it found where some tracking cookies. I have also tried clearing the NVRAM too. I've tried just about everything I can think of and am about ready to give up.

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Failing motherboard perhaps?

14. ned215

ned215

That's what I'm afraid of. I ran th Dell Diagnostic progam and the computer passed all the tests w/ no errors.

15. tracer357#1

tracer357#1 Banned

why not replace your battery as you said it only runs a short time then restarts.
    check your bios again for your h/d make sure it is recognize.
    also make sure you are using the right boot disk for your system some times
    using another disk from a previous pc. can cause this problem using it by mistake and your sys. does not recognize the files on it.
    also if you can try to boot into safe mode and run a virus program.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!