1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invalid drive specification?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mwredt, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I am working with an older computer with Windows95 on it and I was trying to install a Dos based golf game from a CD. You have to restart the computer in MS-DOS mode to install. There are two hard drives in the computer (drives c: and d:) and the CD-Rom is drive e:. At the Dos prompt when I type e:install I get a message that this is an invalid drive specification. But in Windows 95 when I look in My Computer or Windows Explorer drive e: shows up with the CD named and I can view the files on the CD.
    Why won't Dos let me use drive e:?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need the DOS CD drivers running to access CD's from DOS. It's been a long time since I tinkered with W95. One method might be to boot from a DOS floppy with CD support and install that way.

3. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Thank you for answering so promply. But what CD drivers? There is a file named mscdex.exe in the c:\windows\command directory. Do I need other files or this one in another location?

4. JohnWill

You need entries in the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT file to point to the driver for the CD drive, and MSCDEX, which is the DOS file system handler for CD drives. The easy way is probably to visit a place like AllBootDisks and download one for W95.

5. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I went to AllBootDisks and downloaded the iso image for Windows 95b which is what is on the computer. Then I used that to make the bootable floppy. When I restart the computer it boots up to a: drive. But I still get an invalid drive error when I try to access the CD rom on drive e:
    How do I put the needed entries into autoexec.bat and config.sys and what are those entries.
    In config.sys there is a line like this:
    DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana

When I click on autoexec.bat in Windows Explorer like I did with config.sys a box titled Finished - AUTOEXEC comes up with this line:
    MSCDEX Version 2.95 already started.

6. JohnWill

Perhaps the CD isn't being assigned to E:. When DOS starts, you should see MSCDEX announce the drive letter assigned to the CD.

7. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

You are right. Dos has assigned the letter r to the drive. Why would it show up in Windows as e: and in Dos as r:?
    This is a little bit confusing. Is there a way to make this the e: drive?

8. JohnWill

9. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Thank you very much. It has been a long time since I did anything with Dos and I wasn't very good at it when I did. This will take care of my problem.
    Thanks again for your promptness.

10. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Sorry, but one more thing. Does this line MSCDEX /L:e go in the config.sys file?

11. JohnWill

It goes in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, you'll modify the one that's already there, since the CD works.

12. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Now I have Drive e: assigned to the CD-Rom and I can boot into Dos and type in the command to start loading the game but then a message that comes up that says: "This program requires that a mouse be installed. Program aborted."
    There is a mouse and it works just fine in Windows. Now what have I done?

13. JohnWill

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice