1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invalid IP Address - Cannot Correct

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mary H, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Toshiba 1800 series laptop with WinXP Home. The NIC is installed and is an Intel 8225x-based PCI Ethernet Adapater. The light is lit up on the router recognizing the 5E cord and also the green light is on the back of the laptop at the NIC.

I have done an ipconfig/all

Host Name : Joel-Laptop1
    Primary DNS Suffix:
    Node Type: Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet Local Adapter Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Intel 8225x-based PCI Ethernet Adapater
    Physical Address: 00-00-39-f7-e4-92
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway:
    DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255

I have tried manually configuring to match the router and it still does not read anything.

I also have problems with this laptop using a D-Link wireless card.

Something happened one day and it ceased connecting to the internet. If someone could work me through this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mary

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibilities include bad cable, bad router port, and locking yourself out with something like MAC address filtering. You can check these pretty quickly.

Assuming you have a PC successfully communicating with the router, please show its ipconfig /all

What are the "problems with this laptop using a D-Link wireless card"?

3. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

The cable is not bad. It works with other computers. No cable works with the laptop. It is not the router as it does not matter whether it is connected to the router at home or another one somewhere else.

How do I check MAC address filtering?

The PC is not successfully communicating with the router. I hand wrote out the results from the ipconfig/all in the post above (minus all the dots). It begins with Host Name and ends with 255.255.255.255

The D-Link is a wireless PCMIA Card and will work when I first install it but I may have to almost be sitting on top of the router. The next time I boot up the computer it may work. After that I have to uninstall and reload it in order to get it to work. So I am not sure if there may be a configuration problem that is affecting both forms of internet connections. The other computers in the house whether linked via hard tail or wireless have no problems connecting. Only the Toshiba laptop has this problem. Even on the network system at school when our daughter had it there it was sporadic.

Mary

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "How do I check MAC address filtering?"

With everything else you have said, this isn't the problem. Just for the record, MAC address filtering is something you can configure on the router to allow only specified MAC addresses onto the LAN. Some people mistake it for security, but it's really just headaches.

Suggest that you go into Device Manager, uninstall the ethernet adapter, restart the laptop, and reinstall the adapter. If still not working, check Intel's site for updated driver. If no update, or still not working, sounds to me like a bad adapter.

I just searched for your adapter. Result: "There were no results in your selected language(s). Showing worldwide web results for Intel 8225x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter." Maybe it doesn't speak English! :(

For the Dlink wireless card, I'd see if Dlink has an updated driver. Also, if you have any kind of speedbooster option on the router, there could be an incompatibility. You've probably done so, but just in case--try it in another PC.

"... may be a configuration problem that is affecting both forms ..."

Seems logical; but nothing comes to mind yet.

You mentioned "school" and "daughter." Nothing wrong with either of those, but makes me think that there may be virus, spyware or other malware--or corruption left behind by same. If so I recommend backing up all wanted files, format, clean install of Windows.

5. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

Uninstalled the adapter and reloaded it today. Updated the driver today from toshiba support. Also updated the bios. Have downloaded all of the other updates to my desktop but haven't transferred them over to the laptop yet but most of them are utility, sound and video driver updates. I updated the LAN driver.

Since the problem started have done a fresh format twice. Hasn't been on the internet since the fresh install so highly unlikely spyware is the problem.

Desktop d-link wireless has no compatability problems with the router only the laptop d-link wireless. Both g compatability. Can't try it in another laptop. The only one available. The other laptop (which is in being repaired) has built in wireless that works great anywhere in the house.

Mary

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Seems you've done everything possible except boot the thing out a second story window! :)

Maybe a bad motherboard? I can't think of anything else to try. Sorry.

Terry

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried either a PCMCIA Wired Ethernet card (or another one) rather than a wireless one.

Not sure if the first one mentioned was the internal one for the laptop. If so, they do go bad.

8. richard.eid

richard.eid

If the wireless card works and connects, even for a short period of time, and after multiple reinstalls(hopefully with the correct driver), the internal NIC still does not work, you have a bad NIC. Unfortunately, in laptops, the NIC is usually built on to the motherboard. Call Toshiba to check warranty status and replace the NIC and/or MB, if desired.

The fact that the D-Link works sporadically means that it's your internal NIC that's bad. You've all but eliminated the possibility that it could be the driver with the multiple OS reinstalls, unless your install process is flawed. It sounds like you know enough to successfully install a driver, so I'd have to lean towards it being the NIC. However, after all those reinstalls, you'd tend to think that the problem would be worked out with the wireless NIC.

Maybe check some of the power settings in the BIOS. The fact that Windows recognizes the NIC in the system isn't a good sign, though. It sounds like hardware failure to me.

9. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone.

I was hoping it was just tweaking the needed to be done but I guess not. A new MB is not an option for this computer - the warranty ran out a long time ago and there are enough other little things it would not be worth it. It's still a good back up computer and maybe I could get the wireless tweaked.

Thanks again,
    Mary

10. richard.eid

richard.eid

Bob Cerelli made a good suggestion. Maybe go out and spend $20-$30 on a PCMCIA ethernet controller.

11. keroleen

keroleen

Using wireless outside my HOME wireless is a real pain!!!

I am using a Toshiba notebook 1800 VF1 with a D-Link CWL-G650 PCI card.
    I also have a Hawking Technology USB mini-LAN adapter. I will use either or the other.

At my house the wireless works without a problem wtih full strength.
    when i am using wireless network at school or at work, the wireless doesnt connect very well if at all. Usually it will show no card at boot up and i have to take the card out and re-insert it during a reboot. On the other hand, it will also show the 'no connect'. I put in the encryption settings as it is supposed to and it will connect, show a decent signal but the internet doesnt work. This only occurs when i have tto change networks.

Please note that the internal cable connection will work perfectly fine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice