invalid ip

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stufine

`i am trying to setup a linux redhat 7.0 server with a cable modem. `i have a static `ip which works when i use it with windows. however when i give linux the ip and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.252 it gives me an invalid ip address error.

`i have also given the subnet mask of 255.255.255.248 255.255.252.0 these accept the ip but they don't work. i also tried to use dhcp which did not work either. `is my linux installation screwed up or did i miss something.

`i also setup the gateway and dns servers.

Hi!

Are you using the subnet the cable modem co. gave you?

It sounds like the ip address your trying to use is out of the mask range your trying to put in as the subnet.

Verify your using the correct IP and Subnet mask.

Cheers

Scully

stufine

That was it the subnet mask was wrong. DOH!!!

I put in the right subnet mask and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts