1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invalid long filenames

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cajunfries, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cajunfries

cajunfries Thread Starter

Trying to upgrade my laptop HD and the copy program (EZGig) comes up with this error and stops. Have run Scandisk dozens of times both in Windows and DOS. Windows Scandisk says it's OK now, but DOS Scandisk says there's still one or more invalid long filenames, but can't tell me which file it is. Have browsed through the whole directory structure but too many possibilites. Anyone know another method to find these long filenames and delete or fix them?

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Look in IE favorites, many times there are very long names there.

3. cajunfries

cajunfries Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I finally resolved it (after staying up 'til 3am last night). Here's the background for anyone else plagued with this nonsense: Scandisk under DOS found problems, but could not fix them. It referred me to Scandisk for Windows. Even with all the proper Advanced Options turned on, Scandisk for Windows still couldn't find anything wrong, much less fix them. I found a little freeware program called "The Renamer" which had the capability to find long filenames (> 64 char.). Unfortunately it could only find them and not fix them, but that was better than nothing. Most of the long filenames were from Favorites and from webpages I had downloaded long ago and forgotten about. I bundled these into ZIP files temporarily instead of trying to edit each and every one. Also had to delete some non-essential programs with long pathnames like Shockwave, Winamp and Flash Player, but these can be easily reinstalled later. Also had to move some Photoshop files to shorten the path. Rounded out the procedure with cleaning out the Recycle bin and Temp files, then an overnight Defrag, and this morning, DOS Scandisk found NO long filenames!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice