1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

invalid system disk error message -- arrrggghhh!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heath08, Sep 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heath08

heath08 Thread Starter

i tried to install office 2000 on my computer which runs with windows95, and i think i inadvertantly erased something important when i was trying to make room. now whenever i turn my computer on, i get this message: "invalid system disk. replace disk and press any key to continue" or something along that line. it won't go any farther than that. the problem is that i don't have the disk i installed windows95 with. what can i do.

2. SucMahArse

SucMahArse

LOL!!
    office 2000 runs effectivly with win95?

look in your floppy drive. sounds like you have something init... enjoy

Good luck and god speed

------------------
    Always a pleasure to help my fellow human race :Þ

3. heath08

heath08 Thread Starter

no, there's nothing in my floppy drive. is this pretty much a hopeless situation? i guess i should have upgraded to win98 before i tried installing office2000, but i really know absolutely nothing about computers. the only thing that comes up is a black screen with that stupid message. basically the computer doesn't even turn on.

4. ETS

ETS

Well, it's best if you have a boot disk that was made from your own system, but if you don't try going to www.bootdisk.com and downloading one for Win95.
    Once you have the boot disk, boot the system with it in the floppy drive.
    Then from the A: prompt type the following...

sys c:

then press enter, remove the bootdisk and reboot the computer.

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

Office 2000 runs just fine on Windows 95.

It is important to get the right version before SYSing the drive though. There are 3 revisions of Windows 95 out there - if you get a boot disk from version A and you have version C, SYSing probably won't work.

I would suggest getting a boot disk from the above site and booting. Type the following:

C:
    CD\WINDOWS
    DIR COMMAND.COM

check the time and date of that file and see if it is the same as the COMMAND.COM on the A drive. If it is you have the same version, so SYS the drive. If not, look for another boot disk.

Let us know if you have trouble with this, or if you can't find one that matches your system. Once we know the time/date that you have, we should be able to find one.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

6. heath08

heath08 Thread Starter

I downloaded the boot disk. What is SYSing? I *really* don't know much about computers.

7. heath08

heath08 Thread Starter

ok, i've downloaded many different kinds of win95 boot disks, and none of them work. when i boot the computer, it tells me how much memory it has and then gives the stupid error message. it doesn't go any farther than that. is there anything left to do? do i need completely new software? a completely new computer? i think i'm going to shoot myself in the head. well, maybe not that, but at the very least, i'm going to go get really drunk

8. ETS

ETS

It's possible your computer is not configured to boot from the floppy drive.
    Is there a message on the screen when you try to boot that suggests a key to press to run "setup"?
    Also, any info you can give us about your machine will be helpful.

9. heath08

heath08 Thread Starter

my computer is a toshiba 205CDS/ 810 (laptop) model number PA1234VCD. i think it was purchased in either 1996 or '97 (i inherited it from my father so i don't know for sure). i also don't know for sure which version of win95 was on it. (i don't have any of the original software - my father has it in nigeria which is a rather long way from where i am). one of the quirks about the machine is that there is only one spot for either the floppy drive or the CDrom, so i have to take one out to use the other one. i don't know if that has any bearing on the solution to the problem or not. there is no message about about running set-up -- the error message is the first thing i see when i turn the thing on.

10. BeavisIsGod

BeavisIsGod

Basically what you did is erase the files in the computer that let it boot up. You probably erased some .sys files you needed. If you can get hold of a windows 95 boot disk, put it in the drive. Tunr on the pc. If it worked, you'll see something like:
    C:\>_ with a black background. If you still get the same message, check BIOS to make sure boot from floppy is enabled or make sure it is the first option. If none of this is making sense, call: 1-800-457-7777 (Toshiba)

11. LarryCore

LarryCore

You said you have either CD or floppy.

You are putting the floppy drive in, putting the boot disk in it, and then turning the machine on, right?

------------------

12. heath08

heath08 Thread Starter

yep. that's exactly what i'm doing. perhaps i have win95 version C -- i couldn't find a boot disk for that version to download. the other two don't work.

13. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, that doesn't matter at this point. Any boot disk that works is fine, just to make sure you CAN boot from floppy.

Is the system trying to boot from the A drive? Does it light up? It is possible that the boot disks you have been trying are no good. You can test this by trying to boot from them in another computer.

------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice