1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invalid System Disk Error Message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by al62, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. al62

al62 Thread Starter

I have a Gateway 2000 Pentium (R) Pro CPU 180 MHz. (Windows 98) When I start up the computer, it recognizes my mouse, keyboard, and floppy drive as "installed". It also says,

Hard disk 0 installed Quantum Fireball STB .2A
    ATAPI Device Installed ATAPI CDROM

But then, after my floppy disk is shown as being installed (FLOPPY A: Installed), an error message reading "Invalid System Disk...Replace the disk, and then press any key" shows up. I just recently got this computer from someone else, meaning I don't have any of the original disks that may have come with the computer, including the one this error message is requiring to start up the computer.

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al

2. norton850

norton850

First check to make sure no floppy in the floppy drive or CD in that drive. If no disks in either drive then go into the setup using the key indicated (probably F1). Check the boot order and make sure your hard drive is listed as a boot device.

3. al62

al62 Thread Starter

I checked for both a floppy and CD and there isn't one present. I checked my setup (F1) and my hard drive is listed as a boot device. Still, the problem persists. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It indicates that there is either no Windows Operating system loaded on the hard drive, or that if it is loaded it is corrupt.

Is it possible the previous owner cleaned everything off the hard drive? Thats what the message is suggesting.

In that case you need a licenced version of Windows 98 to install from scratch.
    You can download a Windows 98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com but will still need a Windows 98 CD and licence.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice