1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invalid System disk....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by alamal, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alamal

alamal Thread Starter

Hello all, I was given a pc from someone at my church. He got it from the company he worked for and they wiped the hard drive. Soooo, when I try to install Win98se on it (and I have changed the BIOS to boot from cd) I get this message: Invalid system disk.Replace the disk and press any key.
    Can anyone help me out here?
    Thanks so much,
    Peter

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I gather that you're using a Windows 98 startup floppy disk and a Windows CD and the hard drive has been properly formatted?

Set the BIOS to boot from the floppy disk first.

Select "Start computer with CDROM support".

At the A:\> prompt, insert the Windows CD in the CDROM drive, then type in

X: (Replace "X" with the CDROM drive letter)

At the X:\> prompt, type in

SETUP

3. alamal

alamal Thread Starter

It's weird, I just made this boot disk from another pc running Win98se and the pc doesn't boot from the disk but just gives me a C prompt. The only choices I have are for a removable drive, a network drive, the CD drive but no floppy drive.
    ONe last thing. How do I distinguish which letter is designated for the CD rom? I can type in A, B, C, D
    Thanks Flavallee for jumpin' in!
    Peter

4. Carol1247

Carol1247

First Name:
    Carol
    I have a similar problem. I'm going to try what has been suggested.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I would assume that you already know what letter is assigned to the CDROM drive in that computer.

If the assigned CDROM drive letter doesn't work at the C:\> prompt, increase it by one letter.
    (For example, if the assigned drive letter is "D", increase it to "E")

At the C:\> prompt, you also also try typing in

X:\SETUP
    (Replace "X" with the drive letter)

6. Carol1247

Carol1247

First Name:
    Carol
    I got my computer to start. Apparently, the whole problem got started because of my NAV SW. The proper updates were not loading automatically (odd?) so NAV would not let the computer start up. I got it started by re-loading Windows and then nursing it thru a few other problems. Now I'm getting the NAV updates and hopefully everything will work again. One really important thing to have on hand is the "start up disk". Without that, I don't think I would have gotten very far.

.............I'll be back ..............

I decided to re-load NAV to see if that would help. Part way thru the install, I got a message that said "UNABLE TO INITIALIZE THE VIRUS SCANNING ENGINE DATABASE FILES". I'm running out of ideas of things to try. Can you help?

Thanks,

7. dr20

dr20

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    My opinion of Symantec Norton and McAfee? :mad: (n)

They're too intrusive, are memory hogs, and are problematic. :mad: (n)

9. Carol1247

Carol1247

First Name:
    Carol
    Hi,

Well, my computer is officially dead. It's time to move on. I have a laptop so I'm spending today rebuilding my bookmarks and email addresses.

BTW,if you don't like Symantec and McAfee, what do you use for virus SW?

Thanks for your help.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Carol:

Don't feel bad. I just had the hard drive replaced in my HP N5495 laptop and have spent over a day getting the operating system installed, installing numerous updates, tweaking the settings and the registry, and installing numerous programs. I might get done with it by tomorrow. :(

I've have nothing but problems with McAfee and Norton over the years. I've been using Computer Associates Etrust EZ Antivirus for about 3 years now and have been happy with it. (y)

11. Carol1247

Carol1247

First Name:
    Carol
    Hi,

Thanks for the antivirus SW tip.

Hope your laptop is all finished now. I have to get my printer hooked up to my lappie and then I'm pretty much done. I miss a few SW programs like BELARC, etc., but I'll get around to getting them back on. At least I'm up and running and don't have to deal with my ol' dinosaur of a computer.

Take care,

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Everything has been reinstalled in my laptop. Having high-speed cable(384/5000) sped up the process tremendously. I burned off a copy of every program and update and driver that I downloaded. (y)

13. Carol1247

Carol1247

First Name:
    Carol
    Did you burn copies for back-ups? If so, that's a good idea.

I looked at your site briefly. I'll visit again soon. I liked what I saw.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Hopefully, you'll find my site useful and helpful to you. I plan to add a few more articles in the future.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice