1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Invalid Template" error message on Google search

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by piscespassion, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

I was using a template thru my host's site builder (php's). I've now replaced it with an an outside source template (htm's) using an outside source HTML editor.
    During Google searching my site, I noticed some of the php pages still come up. This is a problem because they lead to "Invalid Template" error messages.
    I've deleted all but one of the php's from my "public_html" files in admin status. However, there is still one php coming up on Google... a specific page that was already deleted from my host files!
    I assume I can distinguish my new files because they are htm pages, with the exception of the default "css" file which I recognize to be part of the new template because it contains the name of the template. But I'm kind of skeptic as to removing anything else because I don't want to delete the wrong thing(s)!!
    This is why the admin.php is still there, but I'll remove it if I have to, I just wasn't sure yet. There is also a cms_style.css file which I'm guessing is the old template's "css" because of the date it has.
    Could these two files be the reason the deleted php file is still showing up on Google???
    Thx~

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    If you are talking about a Google search. Google only visits your site infrequently (just think about the number of sites it has to visit). As a result the Google results will be from a few weeks ago and not reflect your current site. If you want Google to re-index your site you can request it through Google webmaster tools IIRC.

3. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

Oh REALLY... well we do learn something new every day even at my age huh? LOL, thx for that info my friend! I just might request it, I was thinking about that, because it was starting to annoy me, since it's been a while now and I'm actually seeing many more pages which have been deleted even longer! Fancy that... but thanks for cluing me in on their infrequency to check sites... I thought they were immediately updated.:eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!