1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invalid VxD dynamic link/Windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by landa, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. landa

landa Thread Starter

I'm not sure, but I think my Windows 98, might have some files missing or corrupted. I can't boot into windows in Normal Mode, but I can in Safe Mode. When I choose Normal Mode, I get this message.

Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 3, service B. Your windows configuration is invalid. Run the windows setup program. How do I run the windows setup program, if I can get into windows? Do you think I am having a Windows problem?

Just to give you a little more background, I have been working on the computer, and I suspect it may have a virus. I purchased Norton System Works, and tried to run the antivirus program, but it says to boot from the cd, but I can't get my computer to boot from the cd. I decided to run the Norton Disk Doctor. I fix a few problems along the way, and then reported that the disk was OK. When I tried to run the Win Doctor, it froze, when I rebooted, the above problem took place. What do you suggest?

2. jm100dm

jm100dm

I would suggest to see if you can restore by using system restore. Restart the computer and tap the f8 key while it is booting. You should get a menu that has the option to go to command prompt. Once at C: type scanreg /restore and this will bring the restore program up. Select a date prior to your problem but do not go all the way back to the oldest date. Keep us posted.

3. landa

landa Thread Starter

I found a solution on Microsofts website. It said I needed to add a line to my system.ini file. I think when I ran the Norton Disk Doctor, it changed all the files that come up when you type sysedit at the Run menu. So far it worked, and I am now running the Norton Win Doctor hoping to solve my windows problems. Thanks for your help!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice