Invisible buttons on webpages

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clark165c

Please help! I have an older computer and monitor and a couple weeks ago was changing the display settings and screen resolution, etc. and apparently I messed something up big time. Now all webpages look quite different with bold, blue lettering, and worst of all the buttons that you would click to login on most sites are now invisible. On some of them I can tell where they are because they have words saying "mail", etc. but on others I have to feel around with my cursor until the little hand appears so that I know where to click. This is really a problem since this is my work computer. And tomorrow I have to take an online tutorial with a software company and I'm sure I'll have a problem. I tried switching monitors but I still have the same problem, so its definitely in my computer setup. I've talked to 3 IT guys who couldn't help or even understand what I was talking about. Apparently I messed up some graphics option. I really need to resolve this ASAP. Why on earth do they make it so easy for the average idiot to RUIN their computer???? Shouldn't they atleast give you a WARNING?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
In your IE8 Options, under the General tab, click on Accessibility and make sure nothing is checked in there.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Open your Display Properties.

Click on the Settings tab.

Are you in 16-bit or 32-bit?

Now, click on Advanced (under Settings). What is you DPI setting? It should be 96 by default.

What is you actual screen resolution?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
DPI is 96 and screen resolution is 1024 x 768. Also, I'm in 32-bit.
All is normal there.

a couple weeks ago was changing the display settings and screen resolution, etc. and apparently I messed something up big time.
Do you remember what you messed with a little? :)

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you change the display settings in your Internet Explorer Options or on the desktop? Are you having these problems only in the Internet?

clark165c

I changed the display setting in my computer setup. Everything seems to be working fine in all software applications. Its only in IE that I am missing the visibility of the buttons and apparently a few other graphics. Sometimes when I'm searching a webpage I can't see the search tool I'm supposed to click on after typing in the search words. In the state tax e-filing site I can't see all the information. In my online banking, the gridlines are missing but all the info seems to be there. Even my IE tabs look funny - they're white rather than blue or whatever color they were before. One very noticeable thing is that on most every webpage the font is an almost neon blue, in bold neon blue boxes. You can tell right away that something is off.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
If nothing seems to do the trick, open your Internet Explorer Options, click on the Advanced tab, and Reset IE to default.

clark165c

Sorry for dropping off - been extremely busy. I reverted back to IE7 but still not resolved. Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. I can't believe it could be so simple to permanently ruin things like this with no apparent solution.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Please click here to download and install the HijackThis installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online