Invisible DVD-Rom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

the_devastator

Alright, I'm desperate. Posting here is the last thing I'm going to do before eating a gun barrel. Anyways, my problem is probably easy to fix if you're some computer vunderkind, but I'm lost. I tried doing a search and found a few similar problems, but all of them sound like Marsian gibberish to me. Please answer this question assuming I don't have much knowledge beyond inserting a CD and installing a game.
My DVD-ROM(or is it called CD rom) worked just fine for the last month since I bought my new P4 1.7 ghz, 512 Ram GeForce3 PC. Today, however I turned on the computer and went to MyComputer to launch a CD, only to find that my CD rom icon, which was set to D drive isn't there. I mean that there was simply no D drive. I thought that I drank too much coffee and tried inserting the CD again to see if the game would auto launch as it usually does. That didn't work either, so I, being in a state of panic went to Device Manager and discovered that my CD drive doesn't show up there. I then restarted the computer and went into the setup screen. I checked the settings and sure 'nugh, my NEC DVD DV5800A was showing as the Secondary Master or something like that, whatever that means. My hard drive was the first. Anyway, my whole problem is that Windows doesn't detect my DVD rom any more, without any apparent reason. As I already mentioned above, I'm using DVD NEC DV5800A.
*Swallows the gun barrel* Help. Please.

:D

the_devastator
Welcome to TSG!
You did not mention what brand of PC the unit is.
If it is an HP go this Website
If it is not try using the add/remove programs feature in control panel and remove the dvd. Now reinstall the dvd usning the CD
provided with your computer or download the drivers from NEC.
Insure you have the CD or current drivers available when you restart and windows find new hardware.
Dave

the_devastator

My PC isn't HP, it's some local piece of crap called Oasa. I already tried checking for the drivers I need, but I haven't found them on NEC's site or driverguide.com.....Today I opened up my computer case after writing a will and praying and managed to disconnect some wires, now my floppy disk drive doesn't work either:).

Well go back in and check the cable going to the floppy drive, make sure it is tight and the red stripe on the cable goes to the pin 1 on the floppy, same with the motherboard end of the cable, tight and pin1 to red stripe. Make sure power connector is still tight. Also make sure bios has floppy enabled and set to 1.44mb.

Is the DVD drive on the same cable as the hard drive, the primary, what's on the secondary ide cable ????

I'm a little confused, the drive should need no drivers except windows to be able to read cd's. Only drivers needed would be to play dvd disc's.

Also make sure the jumper on the back of the dvd is set to slave and attached properly, tighten the cables on the dvd and motherboard, replace the cable if you have one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts