1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invisible firewall that I cannot delete or disable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WatsonSword, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WatsonSword

WatsonSword Guest Thread Starter

I run a Compaq Presario under Windows XP with a 515j pentium 4 and firefox.

A while back I posted a series of complaints on the security board about suddenly being unable to access features on my PC including internet, search and windows media player.
    I don't remember what I originally thought it was, but after a while I thought it was a virus. Turns out I had multiple firewalls running on the system.

So I swept my PC getting rid of all security software, planning on reinstalling a single suite.
    I got my internet back, but but I still can't access media player, search, and several other functions.
    I checked it out and the PC still shows that Kaspersky firewall is running. I erased all traces of Kaspersky software using uninstalling software and hijackthis, but it still shows up as running. And when I go through the entire system file by file, I find nothing by Kaspersky.
    The Kaspersky uninstal from their own website doesn't do anything.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Yes from what you explained I think the best thing to do is backup all of the important data on your computer to another media like CD-R's, DVD, or thumb drive or whatever you like to use, and once this is done do a clean reinstall of Windows and format during the installation.

If you are having all of these problems especially a firewall you can not see or find along with the other problems this would be the quickest way out of the situation.

3. Duckman69

Duckman69

you said "uninstalling software" did u use the uninstaller? or a program designed for removing something your having trouble deleting ... if thats the case you should reisntall the firewall program then use the uninstaller... if that doesnt work, i would go with ozrom's advice just wipe it clean ... if you dont have a cd :/ well tahts a probelm but post back here and let us know...
    ~later

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice