Invisible icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

juberes

Hello

Just half an hour ago i FINALLY succeeded in a battle involving me, and the spyware that came from the wmf exploit, with my computer being the battleground.

I managed to recover everything, although i admit it was very hard because one of the spyware applications blocked my administration rights and didnt let me do certain stuff.

Now, maybe because of this, only one problem remained - the icons on my desktop are invisible.

Its not that theyre gone, theyre there, i just cant see them. I made a small graphic file for you to view, i think it describes the situation better:

So, any solutions? Sorry if this is obvious and easily solved by using the search function but im really tired of fighting the startup processes ;)

Can you view them under Documents and Settings\your username\Desktop?

Have you tried removing the desktop background to test? Are you sure you have killed the spyware?

Have you tried to refresh the desktop?

right click on desktop
arrange icons by......
make sure ' show desktop icons " has a check beside it

Cool, I learned something new....again.

On an aside, that's prank ammunition!

juberes

Can you view them under Documents and Settings\your username\Desktop?
Yes
Have you tried removing the desktop background to test? Are you sure you have killed the spyware?
Well, at the system start up, i can see the icons for just a split second, but just as my wallpaper loads up, they dissapear. Ive tried all combinations like switch back to no wp after startup, or switch to no wallpaper at all and then reboot. All had the same outcome: the icons blink for a moment, and get lost.

And about killing the spyware, all scans on my anti-virus and anti-spyware software (microsoft as, ad-aware, wintasks pro, avast av) show that ive got a clean system, but i can never be 100% sure unless i just formatted my drive

Have you tried to refresh the desktop?
Yes, no effect

right click on desktop
arrange icons by......
make sure ' show desktop icons " has a check beside it
Yeah i tried that ,and fiddled with it a bit too, switched on and off, still no icons visible

can you create a new icon on the desktop and does it stay, or disappear as well ??

juberes

can you create a new icon on the desktop and does it stay, or disappear as well ??
I can create a new icon, but it disappears immediately

Well, I still think that " hide icons on desktop " option is unchecked
checking to see if this is something that can be changed/altered in group policy

are you running Xp home or Pro ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online