1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Invisible website buttons when using Windows High Contrast Black colour scheme.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Bagginsalive, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bagginsalive

Bagginsalive Thread Starter

Okay, confusing subject title? I will explain and hopefully someone can throw some light on this continuing, worsening, problem.

Firstly, I am visually impaired and am forced for a number of reasons to use Windows High Contrast Black as my colour scheme. On the whole, this is a troublefree solution to my visual loss, except when it comes to the Internet. Over the years, the use of what I assume are 'Flash' type buttons, are becoming more and more common, and some are seemingly incompatible with the above mentioned colour scheme. Please follow the brief instructions below, so you can see what I'm going on about. I will assume that anyone with the knowledge of how to solve this, will know how to change a Windows colour scheme.

1. Go to www.pizzahut.com and note the existence of menu buttons near the top of the screen. They contain labelling such as 'Pizza', 'Wings', etc... Hopefully, if you are using a reasonably normal Windows scheme, these should be visible.
    2. Now change your Windows Colour to 'High Contrast Black'. There are about 6 so called high contrast schemes in this section, and for all I know this little experiment may work with all of them, but for my purposes, choose only 'High Contrast Black'
    3. Now return to the Pizza Hut address I gave you and either put the address in again, or simply reload the page.
    4. Those menu buttons should now be invisible. If you run the mouse pointer over them, the pointer will still change to a hand, but without the labels being visible, you can't tell what they do.
    5. One further step. If you now change the Windows colour scheme back to whatever colour scheme you use normally, without reloading the web page, those menu buttons remain invisible, even though they were perfectly visible when you had your normal colour scheme running a few minutes ago. Now hit 'Reload' and the buttons will appear before your very eyes!

This happens exactly the same whether I use the latest Firefox or the latest IE...or indeed, one of the past versions of either of these browsers. This has also been a problem for at least as long as I can remember, going all the way back to XP and beyond.

So, there you have it. This is becoming more of a problem as it is clear to me that web developers are not testing their pages under 'High Contrast Black', and I'm not about to start a one man campaign to change this. My question to all you tech guys out there is, can anything be done at my end to prevent this from happening, as this is seriously hampering my use of the net. What is this incompatibility due to? Simply changing the 'Accessibilty' options in the browsers will not stop this. Any ideas? I feel this may be a problem best solved by some of the more web design savvy among you!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice