1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Io Subsystem Failed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by slick, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slick

slick Thread Starter

A couple weeks ago I posted a question because I was getting as error that said " WHILW INITIALIZING DEVICE IOS: ERROR: AN I/O SUBSYSTEM DRIVER FAILED TTO LOAD. EITHER A FILE IN THE .\IOSUBSYS SUBDIRECTORY IS CORRUPY, OR THE SYSTEM IS LOW ON MEMORY". Well I got advise to add the line 'maxfilecache=6144' to the system.ini file, so I did. No luck. It still won't boot. I looked at the bootlog.txt file and I had a couple of failures. They were:
    Load failed=ndis2sup.vxd
    Load failed=vshare
    Dynamic load failed C:\windows\system\iosubsys\bigmem.drv

The dynamic load failed error was the last line in the bootlog file.
    Do you think this is my problem? Is this file corrupt? Should I replace it and if so where do I get it and how do I replace it?
    If this file is messed up, How do you think it got that way?
    I'm kind of stuck right now and need some advise.
    Please Respond

2. Dan O

Dan O

It's worth a try as it is not normal for C:\windows\system\iosubsys\bigmem.drv get a Dynamic load failed error.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Extract bigmem.drv from the cabs to
    C:\window\system\iosubsystem

I need to know which Windows you are running and I'll find which cab and get you a command line to perform the extraction.
    IF Win 98, which version please?

4. slick

slick Thread Starter

I'm running windows 95

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I was hoping you weren't gong to say that. OK first, do you have the cabs on the hard drive? Or will you be using your Win95 install disk.

IF the install disk, go here

www.bootdisk.com

and Download a win98 bootdisk. Follow the directions to create a win98 Bootdisk. This will give you access to your CD drive.
    Do that and post back.

I will give you directions from there once I know you can access your cabs. Let me know.

6. slick

slick Thread Starter

I'll be using a win95 install disk but isn't it as simple as copying the bigmem.drv from the win95 disk to a floppy using another computer and installing it on the computer with the problem?

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Yes. You could do it that way. Do you haveWin98 so you can search the cabs? Or winzip to extract? Or the Win95 Powertoys will do it too. You need to get that file. I see it is very small and will fit on a floppy. that would be a lot simpler, I guess. Especially if you are not comfortable in Dos.

Then copy it to floppy. Boot to the command prompt and put the floppy in the drive
    At the C Prompt type
    copy A:\bigmem.sys C:\windows\system\Iosubsys
    Press enter

There's a space between sys and C:

8. slick

slick Thread Starter

I have win95
    What is win95 powertoys?
    Can I copy the file from another computer running win 95?
    I have two computers running win95 and if its alright I'll just copy the bigmem.drv from one and put on the other.......
    Would that be ok?

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

10. slick

slick Thread Starter

How would i know if they were running the same version and don't you think that file is identical?
    I think I'll try copying this file and see what happens.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Win95 a Win95 b win95 c

try using the file and see if it helps. When you get into windows go to My comuter and right click it. Chooe Properties.
    On this next page, have a look at the version of windows. Or at the command prompt type
    ver and press enter

12. slick

slick Thread Starter

One more question....say this doesn't work....is it possible to reinstall windows and not lose everything else?
    Just curious....

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Windows 95 is a pain because you should really uninstall IE4 and above before you install on top. But yes. You can do that.You reinstall Windows into the same folder and there is no format. If you have a problem after an overinstall, just reinstall Internet Explorer afterwards to correct . If it comes to that, post back.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice