1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IOGEAR GWA501 Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by adunphy, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adunphy

adunphy Thread Starter

I am having trouble getting my wireless router to work properly with my Verizon DSL connection. My system includes a Dell Dimension 8300 p4 2.8 running windows XP pro/ cat-6 cable, a Dell Dimension xps d300 p2 300 running windows 98/ cat-6 cable, a Compaq 2195 running windows XP /wireless G, an IOGEAR GWA 501 wireless G router/print server (I am Temporarily using a Linksys WRT54G router). This is all connected to a Westell model 2200 DSL modem supplied By Verizon DSL. This is my first experience with a network of any kind and so far not a great experience. My first call to Verizon during setup I was informed that Verizon does not support IOGEAR routers! After much reading and trial and error I got the system to function quite well. My problem occured when trying to send a large E-mail. Several short e-mails were sent with no problem and since most of my correspondence is short the problem went un-noticed for some time. But, when I attempted to send a large E-mail I got a server disconnected message. A call to Verizon got the usual response, We do not support IOGEAR Routers. After a little hageling I managed to get enough information to figure out that the problem appears to be in the MTU setting. Back to the book, I can find no reference to MTU setting in the IOGEAR manual. I have temporarily switched to a Linksys Router and this has solved the E-mail problem. I think the IOGEAR router is a better performer in all other aspects and it has the print server that I need. IOGEAR tech support says this router does not have a setting for MTU but they have given me an RMA to return it so they can check it out. I would appreciate any help with this matter, Thank In Advance, Alan

[email protected]

2. coulterp

coulterp

I'm not an expert in the setting of MTU ... but if you were to set MTU in the PC, then the PC would never transmit packets larger than the value you set in the PC. So if the router defaults to the usual (?) 1500 and your PC is using a lower value you'll never get packet fragmentation (which may be the cause of your problem in large transfers as the more fragmentation you have the more you'll encounter connection problems and slow speeds, and an overall degradation of your service). I hypothesizing a bit ...

Take a look at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks#4
    And if you rummage around that site I think you will also find utilities that will tweak the MTU in you PC.

You may need to experiment.

If after experimentation you still have the problem then indeed the IOGEAR router may need to be replaced with a more flexible item that allow MTU modification.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice