1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Iolo System Mechanic 7.0 Professional, Lack of customer service/relations

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Timax47, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timax47

Timax47 Thread Starter

:mad: I have posted on forums around the net and contacted the makers of System Mechanic until I am blue in the face but nobody seems to want, or is able to answer my question.

It is a simple enough question............ Why does System Mechanic version 7 Professional not work on Windows Vista as the makers, Iolo say that it does?

Why do Iolo not acknowledge customer enquiries?
    Why do they not hold their hands up and refund my money?

I know that I am a uk resident and that Iolo probably think that I will give up and not bother about being cheated out of $69 but hey, I'm gonna try to get closure on this issue. I have been on several forums that have also highlighted the problem and the customer's disdain for Iolo and their lack of customer service/relations.

2. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi Timax
    I see you are not on your own with this problem.I would say this is due to vista's security set up why this program dose not work,But as you say it is up to Iolo to bring out a patch as they do quote that it works in vista.You may need to check out Tim Sneath Blogs on vista There is one were he tell you how to regain control of vista by removing microsoft's
    administrator rights on your pc and you regaining them but you will also loose the tight control vista has on protecting your pc.You will have to decide what is best.
    I can not point you to the exact blog but it is one of his windows vista secrets blogs
    Tim Sneath works for Microsoft.
    Good hunting,
    Rex

3. Timax47

Timax47 Thread Starter

Thanks Rex, I am getting nowhere fast with this problem, I will endevour to chase down Tim's blogs and get some answers on this issue. Meanwhile if you do come across a fix please mail me.

Thanks again

Timax

4. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi Timex
    Check out the Vista forum and scroll down to the post (problems with programs in vista)
    Read the post and then you can decide witch way to go.
    Good luck
    Rex

5. Timax47

Timax47 Thread Starter

I went to Tims website but am not really sure what disabling the UAC will do to make System Mechanic Work?

6. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi Timax,
    I have not got the knowledge to answer that question for you,Vista is new there are lots of programs that do not work on vista yet,I am sure that they will get your program working as soon as they can or they will be out of business What we were discussing about UAC was that if the drivers were not signed to work safely in Vista UAC would stop them installing and the program would not work.Unless you really understand how to secure you PC it is not a good idea to switch of UAC but as Tim sneath and a couple of experienced member told us,another way round it without totaly switching of UAC .Try the other ways first Tim.
    Good luck
    Rex

7. escalader

escalader

I own SM 7 and on their FAQ section I found the following:

"KBA-01828 Last Updated: 01/31/2007 Return to previous page Print this article

Is System Mechanic 7 compatible with Windows Vista?
    This article applies to:
    System Mechanic 7
    System Mechanic 7 Mobile Toolkit
    System Mechanic 7 Professional
    Question
    Is System Mechanic 7 compatible with Windows Vista?
    Answer
    As of January 30, 2007 Windows Vista has been released to the public. Updated Vista-compatible versions of iolo products have been made available for download from the iolo technologies website or simply by using the automatic update tool included in your software. If you currently own an iolo product that is marked as Vista compatible, installing the product on the Vista operating system will trigger any required updating mechanisms and allow for successful use and operation on Vista."

The way I read this is you install vista first THEN SM!

So, try this: Unintstall SM retaining any install software/cd's etc links license numbers they sent etc etc. Delete any folders/files for SM left on pc

Then reboot your PC.

See if everything works

Reinstall SM7 reading messages carefully as you go, good luck

8. escalader

escalader

From Wilders I found this:

"Re: Iolo System Mechanic 7.0 Professional
    they released version-7.1...which i think makes it workable on vista...."

Hope this helps

9. Larrylesq

Larrylesq

:mad: I had issues too w/ System Mechanic. I had purchased it through another company. After not getting any response from Iolo (for 3 weeks) I ended up getting my money back from the company that I bought it through.

I wish I could provide help - but it messed up my system so bad that I had to reformat and reinstall everything on my HD. I'm just posting to show that Iolo CS was no help because they didn't respond to any request for help - even their non-toll-free phone numbers are busied out - so you can't contact them that way either. So Timax47 you're not alone. And, I wish you sincere God speed with the problems.

Escalader - as usual you are the best!

Larrylesq

10. escalader

escalader

Timax47, Larrylesq:

Thanks for you kind words, Larrylesq! It's goes to show there are lots of fields to work in!

Timax, just curious were you able to try the steps in my Feb 12 posts on reinstall and moving to 7.1?

Maybe you have given up on SM7.x. With all that's happened to your PC I wouldn't blame you!

11. Timax47

Timax47 Thread Starter

Thx Guys,
    I still have issues with Sys Mech 7 pro and vista. Drive scrubber 3 doesn't work , search and recover doesn't terminate files, I cannot right click and incinerate or terminate files etc etc. The programs hang and won't close down by using the X in the corner and it goes on.

IOLO have rubbed thier hands of it and robbed my money, don't even give you the courtesy of a reply.

I did try Tim Sneaths methods but still doesn't work

Thanks for everything guys,

If I get a fix or a result from IOLO then I will post back.

( I think that we should set up a support group that names and shames the manufacturers (such as Iolo) who take your money but give you little or no customer support. Give praise to the software makers who do answer thier paying public.

12. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi again Timax.
    Program producers all across the spectrum are having problems getting their programs to run correctly on vista,But as you say they should respond to a customer and say sorry we have unforseen problems we will fix as soon as we can,as some are doing.
    Good luck
    Rex

13. Timax47

Timax47 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Do I have to run Sys mech as administrator and in compatability mode for xp sp2?

why does drive scrubber 3 hang (not respond)

why does file terminator not appear on the search and recover 4 interface unless you enable compat mode for xp sp2?

why does it not terminate files?

So many problems.

Does anyone have a full working version on vista...... Please let me know

I will never again purchase from this company!!!

14. escalader

escalader

We are just mortals like everybody else, I can ony give you an opinion.

"Do I have to run Sys mech as administrator and in compatability mode for xp sp2?", 99% sure the answer is YES!. But if you were to ask should I run it at all I say NO!

I reported that Systems Mechanic 7 has a rootkit in it, which I have removed/disabled.
    I have issues with windowwasher again so I'm about to uninstall SM 7 and WW!

So why would you run software from any firm that 1 doesn't respond and clearly isn't working well for you?

With all due regard for your determination, I would remove these programs from your PC, Uninstall them via control panel, then reboot PC. Forget them, they are not helping you at all.

Cheers, as I said others may see it differently, but I owe you my view.

15. Larrylesq

Larrylesq

I completely agree! System Mechanic does have a rootkit in it. It took me days to get rid of it. One must reformat HD - then reinstall everything (minus SM of course). It says its supposed to clear up & manage security issues - yet, it is itself a security problem. And, yes - they could care less about their customers - no response to emails, non-toll free number always busy.

Its called "fraud" ladies & gentlemen.

Larrylesq

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice