1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iomega External Hard Drive won't recognize

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katelynknn, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katelynknn

katelynknn Thread Starter

Hello,

I am trying to run an iomega Select Desktop Hard Drive, 1 TB. You can see it here (http://reviews.cnet.com/external-ha...-34147148.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;2r)

I cannot find any drivers or any info really for this device online.

I am running Windows 7 on a intel core i5 processor. I used to have no problem running it on this computer. It now will not show up in Disk Management or Device Manager. The blue light on the device is on and I have even tried a different power supply as well as a different port, and unplugging/restarting the computer.

The only other thing I can think of is the USB cord may be bad, but I don't have anything to try out. I am hoping that it is not completely dead - lots of files on this device. :(

Please let me know if you need any more info or if there is anything else I can try! I'm desperate! Thanks in advance

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does it work on another machine?

Has it been bumped or knocked or dropped?

Youu should have all your files backed up especially those on portable drives because they are the most likely to fail and lose all their files. All hard drives will fail.

If it doesn't appear in Device Manager, then the drive or its enclosure may be faulty (if not the cable). If it is under warranty, you should replace it. If not, you may need to remove the drive from its case and try connecting it to a machine through a USB adapter or connected internally to a desktop PC to see if it works without the enclosure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice