Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iomega ZIP disk help

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I looked and searched, but didn't find the answer to my problem. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, or use the right keywords. In anycase, I have a problem with one of my ZIP disks.

Somehow it's locked, i mean locked and frozen ready for the grave. I dunno how it happened. The other disks work fine, but this one I can't do anything with at all. The drive won't read it, won't even recognize that it is in the slot so I can look at the properties. Is there anyway I can open this disk, or save what files are in there?

Please help. I'm computer inclined, but not a whole lot and I am completely lost.

#3 ·
The drive is not built into the computer, you can move it from one to another. I have not yet tried a different ZIP drive...in order to do that, I will have to go to the library, but sicne tomorrow is Sunday, i will be stuck on that until the day after tomorrow. I was hoping to fix it before then.

OS is XP

I don't know what you mean by those other acronyms; i'm only so computer literate.

The zip drive is made by Iomega

Nothing will read this one disk at all.

#6 ·
Might just be a bad disk.

Kind of puzzling that you can't access it at all. Usually when I have trouble with a zip disk ,the problem is that the file system refuses to admit I changed disks. The system sees them even if it thinks they are corrupt. Sometimes, it corrupts them. :eek:

Can you access other zip disks as if they were removable hard drives using a drive letter? I think you are able to do that with a parallel port zip.

You might just try uninstalling and reinstalling zip tools. OTOH, if it is only this one disk, you might just conclude it is bad.

#7 ·
Sure sounds like the Zip media is defective. FWIW, I retired all my Zip stuff years ago due to less than stellar reliability. I still have a box of Zip drives and media, anyone want a good deal on a lot of Zip stuff? :D

#10 ·
**Sighs** Well, at least the data is replaceable. Creative writing and such. Took me forever to do but...they say rewrites are better than the first time around.

Well, thank you for the help. I'm going to try the ZIP in the library computer drives when I can, but if not...trashing it. **ponders** I wonder if I'd be better of with a thumb drive...

#11 ·
I do have one thought. Will the disk spin? Can you get it to turn by the axle on the bottom? The only thing I can think of that conceivably could give your symptoms is if the axle turns but the disk doesn't. In this case, maybe a bit of superglue, properly applied, would get you going for long enough to get the data off the disk.

Dunno; this is the purest speculation. I'm reaching. But you might check.

#13 ·
When i stick it in the drive, it will make that noise like it's spinning, but it makes the sound twice. The others do not. They do it once and work, this one does it twice. Yes, i think i can get it to spin **plays with disk** Yes, that looks like spinning...but stil lwon't work. Will eb going to the library (Hopefully) on Wednesday...if it works ther, i'll let you know.

#16 ·
JohnWill said:
Sure sounds like the Zip media is defective. FWIW, I retired all my Zip stuff years ago due to less than stellar reliability. I still have a box of Zip drives and media, anyone want a good deal on a lot of Zip stuff? :D
:eek: Hmmmm .... I have been searching for mini-zipdisks for a long time now (They were discontinued by Iomega) Does your box have any in there? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.