Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iomega zip drive

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  RandyG 
#1 ·
Hello,
While browsing the software CD for the Iomega Zip 100 USB, I came across a directory for Bernoulli. I thought that was a whole different brand of drive. I was wondering why Bernoulli was listed under Iomega? Do they have some connection?
Any answers will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jenn

#2 ·
#4 ·
Hi Jenn,
I have also been shopping for a zip drive and have looked at Iomega. I have never backed up any data on my computer which I have had for 2 years now and that Iomega looked like a nice way to go. Have you bought it? How well does it work?
Does it back all files on the hard drive? Just wondering/
Thanks, Hotskates:)

#5 ·
Hi hotskates,

A zip drive is very handy if you have small levels of backup sto do. The largest Zip disk available is 250 MB, whereas the older ones do 100MB. I can vouch for their ease of use. The newer models of external zip are extremely handy, as they connect via USB, and after loading the drivers, you access the zip disk the way you would any floppy. You can copy to and from it with the same ease.

If you have a large amount of info you are looking to backup, over 1 GB, then I would suggest a TBU, or Tape Backup Unit. These are internal, so they would fit into your cae like the floppy, and have tapes that are similar to Cassette tapes. Take a look at http://rss.seagate.com/products/srssDrives/travanMain.html for some information on a true backup medium for entire Harddrives.

G
#6 ·
Many years ago I had a high-cap, mountable disk-drive from Bernoulli. It was great for its time, but the disks were expensive. I now have a Iomega Zip drive - same functionality, newer technology. I may be wrong, but I had always assumed the two companies were the same (or one merged with or acquired the other). I rarely hear the Bernoulli name any more.

#7 ·
Thanks RandyG:

The information you gave me really helped. Since My computer only has 64 MB, I think I'll buy the 100 MB zip drive. Thanks!
After that, I might be posting again if I can't figure out to use it.
I've never been very good at copying anything on computer except burning cd/s. My next thing I want to learn is how to burn pictures from my digital camera onto cd/s for storage and so that way I can delete the pictures from my computer. I'm pretty sure they take a lot of memory. I have a lot to learn and you guys at Tech Support Guy REALLY REALLY help me a lot.

Thanks again, Hotskates;)

#8 ·
Always glad to help. Definitely come back, even if you don't need anymore assistance!

I couldn't help but notice you mentioning that oyu only have 64 MB, I'm pretty sure you are referring to your RAM, as opposed to the size of your Hard drive. The last time I saw a hard drive as low as 64 MB, it was in '92.;)

If you want to check on the size of your hard drive, then double-click on your My Computer icon and then right-clcik on your C: drive and select properties. If you notice that you have more than one drive listed with the Hard drive icon, then check those as well.

BTW, if you are planning on buying a CD Writer, then you probably won't need a Zip disk. You will be able to store up to 700 MB on a single CD. The major difference between the 2 devices is that you would be writing information onto the CD using s CD writing application.

Good Luck at any rate!

#9 ·
Here you go Randy, my turn ;)

http://forums.techguy.org/t87284/s.html

hotskates,

Just my two centavos, but rather than a zip drive, I'd look at a cd burner (along with the extra ram, of course) if you plan on being able to exchange the disks with anyone else. I had an LS-120 for a while, but couldn't even transfer files to business associates, friends or family as the disks weren't backwards compatible.....

I see Randy edited in the nick of time ;)

#10 ·
Hi RandyG and AcaCandy,

I bet you guys just love to hear new computer users screw up the terminology? I did mean RAM when I mentioned the 64MB. Sorry. I should have known better than that. The thing is, these things confuse the heck out of me. I do have a cd burner. So far I have only learned how to copy and burn one cd to another.
I can't figure out how to even record several songs from several cd's and put them together onto one cd by burning. So, it may be a while before I learn how to copy data onto cd by burning.
Is it really easy? Do I use the same Memorex CD-R blanks that I use for music? Hotskates

#11 ·
Well, there are loads of people here who have more experience burning CDs (beyond some pyros who actually do burn them:D) but I have used CDs that were supposed to be only for music to copy data onto. I had no problems with it.

Your Cd software should have wizards that guide you through the process till you become adept at them.

My CD-RW came with Adaptec Easy CD Creator software, and it allows you to pull the necessary files from any location attached to your system, including Network drives, local drives, and obviously, your CD-rom drives.

The easiest way I could say to select different tracks from multiple Music CDs would be to copy the tracks you want to a location on your hardrive, and then onto CD. Others may say a more practical way though.

As to having New users mess around with terminology, my mother still gets my brother turn the computer on, open the email program, and print out my emails to her, cause she despises the things.:D I only pointed it out to you, in case you truly were mistaking one for the other. No poking fun was intended. We save that for people who get to know us a bit better in Random!!:D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.