1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iomega zipcd 650

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jachar3, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jachar3

jachar3 Thread Starter

I have a iomega cd-rw zip 650. I have had no trouble up to the point of the year 2003. It has been a very good tool for a year. But now, my computer has an error that there are no cd-rw devices detected. I downloaded and installed their new version of the software, "Hotburn", but still I get this same mesage. The device has not moved, and I did check it to see if it was unplugged somewhere. It isn't.
    Also, there is a file named: C:/Programfiles/commonFiles/Adaptec/ECDCunin/layout.bin" That can not be found, and is also needed to uninstall the Easy cd Creator. So, I can not uninstall this software either. When trying to unistall this first software, my machine freezes with the add/remove programs. Iomega says that I may need a more RAM. My computer still has more than half of it's hard drive left????HELP

2. columbo

columbo

Do you still have a copy of EasyCD Creator? Try re-installing it, then reboot and un-install it.

With the CD-RW, try going into Device Manager, and see if it's listed there. If it is, then see if there is a conflict or driver problem with it. How do you have this connected? USB? There might be a problem with your USB settings.

3. jachar3

jachar3 Thread Starter

Thanks columbo for the quick reply. I do have the old version of easy cd creator. When I try to install OR uninstall, it gets stuck with that message of can't find the C:/Programfiles/CommonFiles/Adaptec/ECDCunin/layout.bin
    The add/remove programs gets hung up there and then I have to shut down via the serge protector, which i really don't like to do, so I have stopped trying to install or uninstall easy cd.
    It is now, for what I know permanately on my computer for the rest of the computers life.
    Iomega thought that if I installed "Hotburn" the new version, it would install this needed file to complete the uninstallation of easy creator, It did not. Hotburn on the other hand, was fine with uninstalling and installing. but it still didn't detect the cd-rw player.
    I do have the player hooked up by way of a USB hub. Do you think it could be the hub?
    Though, I have even changed the port of the USB connection, it still remained the same. and I have a printer, and scanner, digital camera also hooked up to this same hub, they are fine..??? Char

4. columbo

columbo

OK.

Check out this link....did you go through all the steps listed here?

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/10949.html

If you did, then you should be able to remove the Easy CD Creator software (as it will be running the uninstaller from the original CD, which will have that layout.bin file on it).

Once you've successfully removed the software, and either re-installed it, or have re-installed HotBurn, then check out this link and follow the steps outlined there:

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/11499.html

Have you tried dis-connecting all other devices from the USB hub, then tried to see if the drive will detect? There could be a resource conflict preventing the drive from loading....

Here are a couple of other links....I am actually fairly impressed with how comprehensive Iomega's support site is :cool:

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/11160.html

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/11083.html

5. jachar3

jachar3 Thread Starter

Thanks again columbo for your reply. Yes, I have been all over that site, installing/uninstalling. but it didn't help. I was also impressed with their help and promptness. Yet for some reason or another, nothing seeems to work.
    i am beginning to think that after a certain amount of time, there is planned absoulesence. (Yes, I know I didn't spell it right <SMILE>)
    I do believe that there will be a sale soon on a new one. It is now a month that I haven't been able to use this thing. Time to go buy a new one.
    Yes, I did try all the other stuff that I have hooked up to the hub it detects and does not detect, everything else works great.
    I bought a nice new scanner that does 35mm and planned on using all concerned for converting film/prints to a cd.
    Thanks for trying to help me..Charrene Ens-Hale

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice