1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Address Conflict

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nick reynolds, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick reynolds

nick reynolds Thread Starter

Have looked at other threads on this but unable to quite glean the info I need. Have linksys adsl gateway. Had this connected to pc with winxp and laptop with win 98se and a linksys card. A friend set it up - got internet working on both machines but he couldn't get the network working properly. Recently the laptop card failed. As part of a general overhaul at the same time as getting a new card (3com xjack), upgraded laptop to xp and again tried to setup the network.

The current situation is that the laptop card seems to be installed ok, it recognises the linksys router and connects to it. Cannot connect to the internet with it and get the ip address conflict message.

Have tried setting both computers to automatically find ip addresses. Have tried manually setting the laptop to a different address. At present if I type ipconfig I have:

Main pc
    ip address 192.168.1.100
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1

Laptop
    ip address 192.168.1.101
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1

Please can someone give me some advice in very simple language!

2. nick reynolds

nick reynolds Thread Starter

Ok - forget that - running fine now. I did two things. One i changed between ad-hoc and infrastructure mode. Two I switched everyhting off and then on again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice