1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Address Conflict

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eq1987, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

I am receiving an "IP Address Conflict" message every few minutes. I received one a few weeks ago, but didn't think much of it. Now I get disconnected every time it comes up, so I don't want it to continue.

I have a wireless router, 2 ethernet lines run into it (2 computers), and a third wireless connection (3rd computer) uses it.

What might be the problem? I read someone might be using my IP, but because I have 3 computers in the house, I don't know if that's the cause. I've had this setup for about a year and had no problems though.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your wireless network encrypted? Are you using static or dynamic IPs, or a mixture? Before you get the "conflict" message what is your IP address, and what are the IPs of the other 2 computers?

3. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

1) Is your wireless network encrypted? -- If it is, it's hardware. I haven't configured anything.

2) Are you using static or dynamic IPs, or a mixture? -- I think a mixture? It's the same every time I log on, but I think it changes every now and then?

3) Before you get the "conflict" message what is your IP address, and what are the IPs of the other 2 computers? -- The IP addresses are all the same on each computer.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "The IP addresses are all the same on each computer."

Guess we don't need much detective work to determine the problem! Since each device on a network needs a unique (on the network) IP address it should be clear what's causing the "IP Address Conflict."

And, as an aside, not encrypting your network is a good way to allow moochers or worse access to your internet service and to your computers.

5. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

Would you be able to tell me how to get 3 separate IPs and setup an encryption?

6. eq1987

eq1987 Thread Starter

I tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig/renew in cmd, but when i reboot it didnt change my IP?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With a router there's seldom a reason to use static IPs on computers, so I suggest just make sure your router's Dhcp server is enabled and set the computers' TCP/IP properties to 'obtain IP auto' and 'obtain DNS auto.' Else if you need static IPs, then just assign different ones.

Depending on your router you enable encryption in the wireless or security or advanced section. If possible use WPA-PSK. If you use WEP use a hex key (not a passcode that gets translated).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice