1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP address conflict

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pennygrant, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pennygrant

pennygrant Thread Starter

When I boot up, I see a Windows pop-up balloon with the message: There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network." I only have this problem with my laptop I use upstairs using a Linksys Range Extender. I am sure this is the problem---one that I am clueless to solve! Thanks so much!

2. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

do u have anymore computers or devices that use the internet?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is not uncommon, here's the first set of steps to solve it most of the time.

Turn off everything, router, modem, and ALL the computers that are connected. Anything that uses an IP address, TiVo, etc., should be turned off.

Turn on the modem, wait for a connection.
    Turn on the router, wait two minutes.

Boot the attached computers, one at a time.

The reason this happens many times is the router is powered off, but a computer is left running with an IP address assigned. Since the router doesn't know about that outstanding IP address lease, it gives the same address to a computer connecting to the router.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Does your wireless network have encryption.

5. JohnWill

Why would that make a difference?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Well one easy way I've seen on more than one occasion is where someone outside the home is using another person's wireless connection. They set themselves with an IP address and it can conflict with an existing one.

Maybe not what is going on in this case but have run into it more than once.

7. JohnWill

Good point. :)

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So once encryption was put on the wireless network the problem stopped.

Again might not be what is going on here but is why I asked the question.

9. pennygrant

I will try this and get back to you. I see where other "repliers" suggest to encript. I am not encrypted right now because the Range Extender during installation suggests to undo security for ease of installation. I wanted to get my error message problem solved before I encripted again. But I will start with your suggestion first! Thanks so much.

10. pennygrant

I did as you suggested (turn off everything--hook back up--have 3 computers. Now I have a different message and yellow triangle by my wifi connection: "limited or no connectivity". At least, no more IP conflict message. My other two computers show IP address of: 192.168.1.100 and 1.101. My wifi problem computer shows the following IP address and Default Gateway: 168.254.77.165. I also emcripted my router. Thanks

11. JohnWill

Make sure the encryption key for that machine matches the encryption key in the router. Also, if you are using WEP encryption, use ONLY the HEX option, not the passcode option.

12. pennygrant

All three encription keys are the same on the three computers. Also my WEP uses the HEX option. My wifi laptop still says "invalid IP address" . Thanks for helping me.

13. JohnWill

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

14. pennygrant

John, I have been surfing this site reading other emails. I see where you like us to "paste" stuff. I know how to do the run/other instructions. But I do not know how to paste. I am truly sorry. I only use WordPad---nothing fancy.

15. pennygrant

I am about to type out all the Run info. It occurs to me you want the info off the problem laptop not the working ethernet laptop. I will go ahead and type out the info from the "good" laptop first.

Host Name=Penny
    Primary DNS Suffix=(blank)
    Mode Type: mixed
    IP Routing enabled: No
    VINS Proxy enabled: No
    ----------
    Ethernet Adapter LAN:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:(blank)
    Description: Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address: 00-11-43-68-04-13
    DHCP enabled=yes
    Autoconfriguration enabled:yes
    IP Address: 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
    DNS server: 66.82.4.8
    Lease Obtained: Friday, July 13, 2007, 4:39:06PM
    Lease Expires: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 4:39:06PM

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594993