1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ip address may be compromised

Discussion in 'General Security' started by MOTONANA, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MOTONANA

MOTONANA Thread Starter

I think my ip address has been compromised, one of the accounts on my computer has strange things happening on it. The screen will change periodically, and items being sent from this account. how do I fix this and keep them from getting in again.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What strange things are happening to that account? You say the screen changed, do you mean the desktop wallpaper is changed ? What items are sent from the account, to whom, and how ( via file copy or are you talking about email ? )

Is that account an administrator account ? If so, then you're in big trouble. If it is standard / limited account, then you can backup all her files and delete the account. Don't do anything yet, however. I want to you explain to me what strange things happened.

And what version + edition of Windows are you using?

3. MOTONANA

MOTONANA Thread Starter

The Screen was initially on facebook and jumped back to another website, emails have been sent to people and this has occurred while the computer is turned off completely. I will get back with you on the remainder of the problems.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is it an administrator account?

What version of Windows ?

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Note that anybody can send emails from any machine purporting to be from any email address. I seriously doubt they were sent from your PC *while it was turned off*. If you have an online email account then it's possible somebody hacked into it & sent them from that account, but as I mentioned above that isn't necessary to send emails showing your address in the From header.

I'll let LunarLander handle the other issues-he has a lot more experience than I do. All I wanted to do was assure you that emails being sent as purportedly from you isn't an indication that your account has been hacked.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974088