1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Address on a Win2000 Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Biko, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biko

Biko Thread Starter

I am the Network Admin of a fairly small org. I have a wireless network running on a Windows 2000 server. The network consists of 10 workstations and two hardware access points.

My server's IP address keeps on changing automatically and I have to change it manually on a regular basis to keep my users connected.

Please shed some light on this...

2. jhoegl

jhoegl

I assume you set them staticly via network properties? What is handling the DHCP server?
    If you are the only admin, Id try changing your password, also Id check for intrusion.

3. N E Key

N E Key

Make sure the IP on the server is set for static, not autmatic. Probably one of the AP's is running DHCP and assigning address.

4. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy

If the AP's are on the private side of the server (which they should be) then they shouldn't be causing the server's address to change. If you go to the properties sheet of the NIC that is attached to the private side of the network you should be able to change the IP address to static. Your server should be your DHCP server as well since it is such a small network. Your wireless AP's can be set up to act as a bridge so that connected devices can be on the same subnet and use the main server as DHCP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice