1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP address problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by laurenceparsons, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurenceparsons

laurenceparsons Thread Starter

Hello All,
    Yesterday I upgraded a Dell laptop with more RAM, from 384Mb to 2Gb, and that worked fine; the PC sees the new RAM. However, now it will not connect to the Internet. We have a Qwest 2Wire DSL modem with wireless, and it normally issues an address of 192.168.0.66 to this laptop. Now DHCP gives it 192.168.16.xxx which of course is a different subnet.

If I change the Dell wireless adapter to use a static IP (the original address) it connects fine. This laptop user does not have an ethernet cabled connection available in his office, so its wireless or nothing. He also has Verizon vzaccess software loaded which he uses to connect to the Internet while traveling, which he does almost every week.

I'm stumped. I don't know why his laptop should suddenly be getting a different IP address now. He doesn't have the knowledge to manually change his IP settings every time he's in a new location. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
    Laurence

2. zacke

zacke

Does the modem have sync?

3. laurenceparsons

Hello zacke

I'm not sure what you mean by does the modem have sync?

L

4. zacke

zacke

On the 2Wire, what lights are currently on?

5. laurenceparsons

Hi zacke,

I'm not at the office at the moment, but the DSL light is solid and the Internet is working for the cabled PCs. The wireless light is flashing when there's wireless activity, which Qwest says is correct. I had to set the laptops to static IPs and then they can get on fine. However, when I use DHCP they are being given an address in the range 192.168.16.xxx instead of 192.168.0.xxx. Don't know if that helps you? Could the other IP addresses be coming from a different wireless point?
    Thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice