1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Laughalotkpg, Nov 9, 2019 at 2:38 PM.

Advertisement
  1. Laughalotkpg

Laughalotkpg Thread Starter

What are the pros and cons of two people having the same external ip address?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Only if they are on the same laoal network using the same ISP connection

3. Laughalotkpg

Yeah but what do you mean?

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    The only way two devices can have the same external IP is if they're behind a router that hands out internal IPs and routes all traffic to the appropriate device attached to the router.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

More specifically, a network device must act as a proxy to any network communications when multiple devices are sharing a single external IP address. The protocol/technique used for this is NAT (network address translation) overload. Cisco refers to this as PAT (port address translation).

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Pros:
    1. Less expensive.
    2. Easier and safer to share files.

Cons:
    1. Sharing bandwidth.
    2. May get caught up in (blamed for) other person's illegal activity.

7. Laughalotkpg

So would you say that's what is happening if I looked up the coordinates of my external ip address and the results are another street address other than my own?

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well, I don't think it's possible to actually look up the exact geolocation of an IP address. It'll be approximate. At least that's my opinion. Can you give a link to the site where you search using the IP, I'd like to look my own IP up. Just to test my statement.

EDIT: I should qualify it by saying that my statement covers the "normal" user. Of course ISP's know where there IP addresses are assigned and therefore can inform law enforcement etc. etc.

9. Laughalotkpg

Is it possible to be sharing the same ip and not know it? If so,would the isp have to be in on it?

10. Laughalotkpg

I think I get what your saying.But if not authorized,how can that router be connected to my netwoerk without me knowing?

11. Laughalotkpg

Instant IP Address Lookup

12. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It's not a router. An external IP is like a phone number. Only one device can have a specific ip. Many devices - including several concurrent routers - can be on an internal network behind an external ip. It simply isn't possible for two devices to have the same external IP. Or for two devices to have the same internal IP in one network. (exceptions do exist internally if subnets are physically isolated etc. etc.)

As with the phone number. If one were to connect from outside to an ip. As a website returning a page in a browser. How would that happen if two locations/devices had the same IP? It wouldn't know which one to send to. So, again, a public IP can only exist one place at a time. Sure, it can be reused somewhere else at a later time and probably was used somewhere else previously.

Can you give the first 3 quadrants of the IP you're looking up? Just to make sure, no offence meant here, that it is an actual external IP.

13. Laughalotkpg

Is this what you mean? 173.20.128

14. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Yes, that is what I mean. It is an "public" IP address. So what makes you think there's two locations with that address? Or is it "just" a case of a faulty geolocation?

15. Laughalotkpg

Its definitely not my address and I know the street address that it belongs to wich arouses my suspicions.Ive told my isp's technician about it and one of says it another network but then does nothing about it after Ive told them there shouldnt be another network.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice