1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kiedocs, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiedocs

kiedocs Thread Starter

I have a Cisco 3500 series XL switch. I need to reconfigure it but don't have the IP address to get into the switch. How can I retrieve the IP address?

Thank you,
    Kiedocs

2. eather

eather

if u r using win 98 or later version...
    >click start
    >click run
    >type "command", ms dos will open
    >type "IPCONFIG"
    jot down the ip address
    >type "exit" when u r done

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Not sure how doing an IPCONFIG on a local PC is going to give him the IP of a managed switch?

There's a couple ways you can do this. Direct connect a laptop to the switch if it has the serial interface. Log in and run the commands to show the ip setup. Run something like [email protected] and scan the ip addresses on your subnet and urle out the clients and find the other network devices. If this unit has SNMP enabled it should be VERY easy to find as it will be labled as the switch and should have quite a few network adapters listed.

4. kiedocs

kiedocs Thread Starter

Thank you, eather. That will work if I want the IP for the PC.

Thank you, StumpedTechy. I will try that and let you know.

Kiedocs

5. O111111O

O111111O

Plug in a serial console cable. RJ-45 rollover (all eight wires) to DB-9 DTE interface. (Or, the black/blue Cisco cable that came with your switch)

Connect with hyperterm @ 9600/n/8/1

Console of switch.

Should look something like: switch>

Try "sh ip int brief"

This will show each and every interface. What you're looking for is the VLAN/management interface. May look like:

Interface VLAN1
    ip address x.x.x.x

--------

You can also try "sh run" Most likely need enable mode for this. (switch # prompt)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice