1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Addresses Locked

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Spinach, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spinach

Spinach Thread Starter

On one of our users Notebooks (a Dell Latitude) I have found a really confusing problem

I am not sure how long the problem has been there because he has only had the need to use his machine at the office and at home (the office runs off DHCP)
    Now, he got promoted a while ago and now travels, some of our smaller branches don't have the luxury of DHCP so travellers have to manually configure their IP's to the correct range for the particular branch. This is where we discovered the problem

Windows 98 SE. When he enters the Network Configuration page to change his IP and goes into the TCP/IP Properties and changes the IP from 'Obtain Automatically' to 'Specify' the octet fields remain greyed out and nothing can be entered into them, this applies to ALL network adapters installed on his machine... I have looked for any possible arb software installed and am totally lost as to what I should do! Because of this, this guy can't connect to any of our non-DHCP networks for mail collection and the likes which I can understand is frustrating for him...

Anybody got any ideas for me?

Your help is appreciated!

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

You may get more responses if you post this in the NETWORKING Section of this Forum.

3. JenniferLore

JenniferLore Banned

Start with uninstalling TCP/IP.
    Reinstall it.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If he got promoted, buy him a new laptop! :D Seriously, Jennifer is onto the first thing to try. :)

5. PaulV

PaulV

Hi Spinach ,
    Can you uninstall the network card and then reinstall it.
    The other thing to check would be the policy editor on 98

PaulV

6. Spinach

Spinach Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delayed reply :)

Unfortunately uninstalling TCP/IP and the NIC have been tried unsuccessfully

:D as for buying a new laptop for the guy, i can only wish! The company i work for are so tight they can make diamonds out of coal :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice