IP Addresses Locked

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Spinach

On one of our users Notebooks (a Dell Latitude) I have found a really confusing problem

I am not sure how long the problem has been there because he has only had the need to use his machine at the office and at home (the office runs off DHCP)
Now, he got promoted a while ago and now travels, some of our smaller branches don't have the luxury of DHCP so travellers have to manually configure their IP's to the correct range for the particular branch. This is where we discovered the problem

Windows 98 SE. When he enters the Network Configuration page to change his IP and goes into the TCP/IP Properties and changes the IP from 'Obtain Automatically' to 'Specify' the octet fields remain greyed out and nothing can be entered into them, this applies to ALL network adapters installed on his machine... I have looked for any possible arb software installed and am totally lost as to what I should do! Because of this, this guy can't connect to any of our non-DHCP networks for mail collection and the likes which I can understand is frustrating for him...

Anybody got any ideas for me?

Your help is appreciated!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If he got promoted, buy him a new laptop! :D Seriously, Jennifer is onto the first thing to try. :)

Hi Spinach ,
Can you uninstall the network card and then reinstall it.
The other thing to check would be the policy editor on 98

PaulV

Spinach

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delayed reply :)

Unfortunately uninstalling TCP/IP and the NIC have been tried unsuccessfully

:D as for buying a new laptop for the guy, i can only wish! The company i work for are so tight they can make diamonds out of coal :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts