1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP addresses resolved but cannot ping them

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Waveblaster760, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Waveblaster760

Waveblaster760 Thread Starter

Hi hope you guys can help with a problem im having at work...
    Currently I have a situation whereby I have connected a netgear wireless AP to a wired lan switch. The AP doesnt use DHCP and Ive assigned it an IP address within the same subnet as the rest of the network devices.
    Now I can ping all network devices on the subnet.
    The dns server for the network is the firebrick/firewall that sits between the outside WAN router and the internal LAN, this works fine for all other networked devices BUT not for my newly added wireless laptop connecting through the wireless AP. I can ping the firebridge..and if i ping a website the name is resolved into an IP address...but i CANNOT ping the website or the resolved IP.
    There are no firewalls running on the laptop..and all settings match that of all other devices on the network...Any Ideas chaps?!?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Your firebrick firewall is probably blocking you. You need to find out if the firewall rules are allowing the entire subnet, a specific range of IPs, or specific IPs to go out.

3. Waveblaster760

Waveblaster760 Thread Starter

The filters for the firebrick allow all traffic through within the subnet of which the acces point is a member of so should in theory work...If I take all the settings from the AP and configure them onto a laptop and connect straight to the switch with cat5 it works completely fine...is it possible that the firebrick sees the packets arriving via the wireless AP as a security threat or is any 'wireless encapsulation' stripped off once the packets reach the ap and go through the switch? ...ie does the firebrick see a wireless connection as a threat?

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

firewall or icmp blocking set on the AP?
    If you connect the laptop wired do you have different results?
    Is ping the only problem? Can the laptop get to google for example?

5. srhoades

srhoades

I don't know what a firebrick is but if it anything like a sonicwall there are seperate rules for LAN and WLAN access. For example, if you allow port 25 out on the LAN you also have to create a rule for the WLAN as well.

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

That would only be true if the sonicwall was doing wired and wireless which in this case the AP is off a switch. The firebrick wouldn't know if it was wired or wireless.

7. srhoades

srhoades

Oh, that's what I get for skimming and not ready the orginal post carefully.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!