1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP block

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kuzhanthaivelu, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kuzhanthaivelu

kuzhanthaivelu Thread Starter

Hi,

In my LAN i have 30 clients, All pcs connected with 24port switches including airtel broadband connection.

But everybody has full net access. So most of times network goes down.
    So i want to block a particular site for every ip. How can i do this?

Could anybody give solution?

Thanks in advance.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the modem for your airtel service have any web address blocking capabilities?

Are you using a managed switch or just a basic 24 port switch?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Posted via Mobile Device
    OpenDNS

4. kuzhanthaivelu

Without DNS to make a proxy through any third party software

5. JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

Hello.

The network shouldn't go down because of high traffic, just slow down. Could you post the exact model of your switch?

6. kuzhanthaivelu

I have Nortel 2526T unmangable switch.

With this i cant able to make any proxy here. so that i ask about third party software.

7. JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

You'll need to stream all the traffic through a machine capable of filtering it. Almost every firewall distro can block set IPs. Try out m0n0wall or Smoothwall.

8. Squashman

OpenDNS is not a third party software.
    Just setup an OpenDNS account and use their DNS server address on your gateway device. You can use OpenDNS to black list or white list a website or block by pre-defined profiles they have.
    This isn't rocket surgery. It will do exactly what you need it to do.

9. kuzhanthaivelu

Squashman,

I now OpenDNS is not a third party software. This is inbuilt feature while uisng Server Operating System.

But here i dont have facilities to arrange a dedicate server for implement openDNS.

I have to block particular IPs which gives network traffic problem in my LAN while browsing. So give tips to make any proxy from my host which is having XP Professional.

--

10. Squashman

You don't need a dedicated server for OpenDNS.
    Read about OpenDNS on their website. You are totally missing the poing on how it works.

All OpenDNS does is provide you DNS server addresses. The only thing you have to do is setup an account with them and configure your network or the pc's themselves to use OpenDNS for the DNS server addresses in the TCP/IP properties of the computer or on the device that is providing internet access to those computers.

11. kuzhanthaivelu

Mr.Squashman,

Could you please give any alternative way for my problem other than openDNS?

12. Squashman

If you can't block it at a choke point on your network then you would have to setup each machine individually to block that website. You could do that in the hosts file of each computer.

If you have Windows Vista, you could set the parental controls to block the website.

The only other option would be to install Windows Steady state and block it with that.

OpenDNS is the easiest solution for this though.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice