1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ip blockers ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Darkst4r, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darkst4r

Darkst4r It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend an ip blocker other than peerguardian or protowall.Both of these programs are useless to me for the following reasons:

Peer guardian is allowing EVERYTHING , ive reinstalled etc but cannot get it to block a damn thing , plus the updates never work properly.

protowall wont even start on my machine (some nonsense about drivers not being installed even after numerous re installs)

Thanks

P.s , I only need it to cover P2P sharing.

2. hewee

hewee

Just get a hosts file.
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I used HostsMan and it works great at managing the hosts file. You can get auto updates to your hosts file and have more then one hosts added together.
    Then add sites that are not in the hosts file on your own.
    Or get hostsman and only add the sites you want to it.

3. Darkst4r

Ok , I have it but I have no idea whatsoever how to use it.Is it good for stopping anti p2p clients ? How do I set it up ?

4. hewee

hewee

If you read the http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm site and read the added links from the dropdown it will tell you more.
    Hostsman really does most everything for you and if you install it you can read the help for more info.
    But say you want to block a site and many can be this way you have to list the site two ways like this.
    Say the site is anti-p2p.com you want to block
    You would add anti-p2p.com to your hosts file. But you may also have to block out www.anti-p2p.com
    Then on some you may have to also block out anti-p2p.net and www.anti-p2p.net

On hostsman have it so it loads at startup.

You couls try out HostsXpert that is listed on the page and try it. No install is needed.

5. Darkst4r

Sounds far too complicated , isnt there an easier program with its own block list of known anti p2p sites ? I dont want to be responsible for adding / removing sites as I dont really understand what im supposed to be doing , peerguardian looked good , its just too full of bugs.

6. hewee

hewee

It is easy really. I don't know if there is a list of known anti p2p sites or not that you can just add to the hosts file but I bet there is. I don't worry about get because I don't have and p2p programs on my computer.

What sites do you want to block?

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

Just stupid questions because it will allow stuff in peer gaurdian if you have it disabled. Right click it and make sure it is enabled, and finally make sure you do not have it running in vista as it is useless there due to incomaptibility. And finally make sure you have the p2p list installed and active. Finally the program should be active which can be checked from the tray icon. It is red when disabled and normal (black) when enabled.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/674124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice