1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ip chain broken

Discussion in 'Networking' started by realtime37, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. realtime37

realtime37 Thread Starter

[​IMG]http://www.rizone3.com/
    HELP,, i used the complete internet repair tool from rizone on my friends computer to fix alot of problems after removeing several trojans. i am currently usueing teamviewer to administer tech help to her. i successfully removed all viruses and spyware.. and now after useing the internet repair it seems the lsp chain is gone... grrr.. or perhaps it just wiped out her ip address and subnet.. its hard to tell since i cant connect anymore. im haveing to use a cell phone now to speak with her. we tried system restore but no restore points. then trying to re-enable the windows internet connection service. (ics), but it came back with a error. it cant seem to find the protocol..ive used this tool before on my own computer and it works great, but hers it seemed to have wiped out critical structure of the ip.tcp, or winsock chain. grrrrrr. would running these commands manually help? 1,netsh winsock reset catalog.. and 2,netsh int ip reset reset.log? and if not,, how do i install ipv4 again? im looking for a set of procedures i can do without re-formatting.. because she does not have a restore disc. any suggestions in order would be appreciated.. even the smallest tidbit of suggestion.. thanks alot, mike

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Using your working computer and a USB flash drive,

Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

Install the program on your faulty computer, run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

3. realtime37

thanks but i cant access her computer from this state im in.. she is quite far away.. other than haveing her buy a usb and install hijack this... is there any other suggestions? the computer cant seem to find the ip itself.. the network tool from rizone should of solved this problem.. it puzzles me, thats why i think maybe unhooking her ethernet and re connecting might re-set it.. or perhaps the two commands i mentioned from command prompt. or manually entering the ip ,subnet, and gateway in network connections. just trying to go thru all the possible scenerios... she is on a cable connection that hooks up into the ethernet port. she wants to take it in to have them fix it.. but techs these days charge 50.00 dollars just to install yahoo messenger. its nuts!! thats why im trying to do all i can first. thanks for your sufggestion,, wish i had the logfile also

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Well, without knowing if her computer is still infected or not, we might try a lot of things for nothing. Has she tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking to see if she can connect in that mode?

If she doesn't have a USB flash drive, perhaps she could burn the program to a CD/DVD?

Can she still use her e-mail or is that down too? You could send her the HijackThis installer...

HijackThis could tell us if the computer is still infected (in some cases) or if the LSP chain is broken. Have you told her to check for proxy settings?

Malware will often change Lan settings and configure proxy settings by "tunneling" traffic through a certain port (e.g. Local address: 127.0.0.1 Port: 5555).

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan settings > Proxy server > Advanced > delete proxy server settings > click OK > uncheck all boxes > click OK.

In Firefox, click Tools > Options... > General > Advanced > Network > Settings > delete proxy settings > select No proxy > click OK.

5. realtime37

okay ill give that a shot also... thanks!! im pretty sure i got all the malware last night. we used pctools spyware doctor, avira, emsisoft anti-malware, and avast boot scan .. then i told her to run all those in safemode again.. everything was wiped out.. but im sure the tojans corrupted her lsp chain, or one of the protocols invloved with the connection itself.. so thats why i did a complete flush of her connection.. and it puzzled me that it didnt succeed in restoreing her ip.. because her connection worked up until i did that... hummm,, its my fault i guess. i will check the proxy settings as you said.. and instruct her on how to do so.. she is a super novice.. barely can check her email.. and im only a intermediate user with few skills.. but i appreciate the heads up..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice