1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP configuration help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Scorpion, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Hey all, quick question....I hope. I'm online trying to help a friend resolve an ip conflict between his PC and laptop. Every time one or the other is started, it kicks the other machine off the net etc. Now, I've tried getting him to set an ip address on the laptop, rather than using the automatic configuration....however, even tho it is telling it to use 192.168.1.10, when he does ipconfig from CMD, it shows 192.168.1.3...as usual. It WONT use .1.10!

This is XP HOME (bleh), on a DELL (BLEH) laptop and PC. Anyone know why it wont use that address? He has a Netgear router connected to his modem....PC is hardwired, Lappy is wireless.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Do you have an unsecured wireless router by any chance?

3. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Yes, they do. I'm using VNC to access his router config, and the wireless side in unsecured...no encryption.

So...what ideas do you have sir?

Scorp.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Set up security for the wireless portion of the router.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Thanks.....what impact could that have though?

Scorp.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It would mean that no other computer within range of your wireless router would be able to access it without the proper key. This might be one reason why you are getting duplicate IP addresses. In general it is a good idea regardless.

Now as far as entering the static IP information, are you sure the user account you are trying this from has admin rights?

Is the router configured for DHCP?
    How many IP addresses is is assigned to hand out?

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Yes, I already told him to encrypt it...good idea, as you say.

Yes, he has admin on the PC and laptop, so nothing wrong there.
    Yes, DHCP is enabled.
    And there are 49 ip addresses to use, from 192.168.1.02 to .1.51

It's weird, as I have set up lots of routers, and a few static assigned ips(i.e, not automatically obtained), but this is stumping me.

Thanks for any more help you can offer.

Scorp.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To confirm:

After resetting the computer to use the .10 address, and rebooting, it still reverts back to the .03?

As a test, what happens is you set the other computer to use .11?

9. urikorulzs2

urikorulzs2

alright i have another way u could fix this issue. tell ur friend to connect the modem to the netgear lan port instead of the ethernet port and then connect the desktop to another lan port and then go into the router and disable dhcp. then go into the modem and set the dhcp server range. then go into the network adapters and assign the laptop and desktop an ip address far from the range ip's.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Bob...gonna try setting the other machine tonite, see what happens. :)

Urik....I think I see what you are getting at...use the modem as the DHCP point, and make the router more like a switch? Hmmmmmmmmm.....might work....That could be a last option.(y)

However, I'd still oove to figure this out...something weird is going on. :(

Last night, when he tried to enable security on the laptop, it wouldn't use the encrypted connection, even tho it was asking for the key, and the key was entered correctly....I'm wondering if something is corrupted on the lappy.....:rolleyes:

Any other suggestions gladly accepted.:cool:

Scorp.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice