1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ip configuration question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mi6recon, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mi6recon

mi6recon Thread Starter

Hi guys, some quick questions about LAN IP configuration:

I have a DSL modem has an ethernet port, and a USB port, to allow for a second computer to connect to the internet. However, I have a netgear 4 port switch LAN/WLAN router, of which I connect one desktop computer to the ethernet port, my laptop using the WLAN, and one computer connected using USB (through modem, not router). Thus, the last computer has a different IP address (assigned by DSL company). My other two computers have IPs assigned by the router, thus, are able to share through Itunes...

...Which leads me to the question: is it possible to configure the ip of my modem-assigned computer to match those of my router's, or vice versa, as I want to allow my Itunes music to be accessible on all three computers. Thanks in advance, and happy thanksgiving. :)

p.s. I know you're wondering: but you have three more switches on the router, why not use it..well, this last one doesn't have LAN card.

2. Node

Node

What you should of done is connect all the comptuers to the LAN ports on the router (except the laptop) and share internet connection that way. As far as iTune, you might need to open up the port in the firewall software on your router (check the manual for more details).

Q: "is it possible to configure the ip of my modem-assigned computer to match those of my router's, or vice versa?"
    A: No

Network cards are very cheap now, you should use that. Much faster than USB.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/300404