1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ip conflict w/ laptop and desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ron24151, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron24151

ron24151 Thread Starter

Hello, I have a desktop wired to my netgear wireless router, been using for a while, it is b so a little older, bought a laptop to use outside, worked great for a while, both did together,

Now When on the laptop (wireless) and desktop (wired) there is a little bubble pops up on the desk top and says ip conflict and kicks the desktop off,

they are both gateways, they worked for a while together now they dont get along,

how do i go about fixing this

the desktop is xp3 and laptop is vista home premium

thanks, let me know if you need more info

thanks again ron

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Go into the networking properties of both machines and see if your IP address is being assigned automatically through DHCP or if it is static. You can manually assign your own address or allow the router to assign one to you automatically. We need to know your setup before we can advise.

How to configure your network settings in Vista

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/as...sprt_cid=b96f5df9-5b87-4506-8f67-54cb9ecbfc8d

How to configure your network settings in XP

http://support.hubris.net/configuration/xp/network_xp.html

Regards,
    Rollin

3. ron24151

ron24151 Thread Starter

I will let you know when I get Home tonight

Thank you
    Ron

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Fix for duplicate IP address on network.

1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
    2. Turn off the router and modem.
    3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
    4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
    5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice