1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Conflict ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Computer_Clueles, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Computer_Clueles

Computer_Clueles Thread Starter

Ok, for a week now my husband and I have been trying to figure out how to get Wired and Wireless internet connection set up. We bought a new Netgear wireless router cuz our old one was outdated. We followed the instructions of plugging in the yellow wire that came with the router into my DSL modem then into the router. After we plugged in his desktop pc internet cable and my internet cable. We were able to connect via wireless connection but wired wasn't connecting. When we switched the wires around we got wired connection working but wireless not working. For days we went back and forth like a tennis ball in a tennis match. If wired worked ... wireless didn't. If wireless worked ... wired didn't. If my Laptop was able to log on both wired and wireless ... his desktop pc wasn't. If his desktop pc connected ... mine wouldn't. I asked my DSL provider for help but his answer was you can't have both Wired and Wireless connection. It's one or the other and that it's impossible to have both wired and wireless. I doubt that to be true cuz I have friends who have a desktop PC connected to a internet cable but also got wireless running when they want use a gaming console or laptop. We have been trying for like a week to figure this out and with frustration unplugged the Netgear router and put it back in the box with plans to return it to the store. We're now currrently connecting to the internet by using a D-Link desktop switch with my DSL modem cable connected plus my internet wires. So back to square one of no wireless set-up. But now I noticed a problem since we connected the Netgear router. Now when we connect wired without using the router or anything I get an error saying IP Conflict that another computer is using the same network IP. I've looked online for answers and most suggest to go to cmd. When I type cmd nothing comes up for me. All I get is ...

Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection * 42
    Media State ...................... Disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS . :

It repeats that over 20+ times but doesn't show any ipconfig information. :( I'm sorry this post thread is really long I just want to get wired and wireless internet set up and this IP conflict fixed. It's so frustrating !! :mad:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory default settings.

Unplug modem and router and shut down computer(s).

Connect modem to router WAN (Internet, modem) port and connect a computer to a router LAN (numbered) port.

Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer.

You should now have internet access and be able to configure the wireless and connect other computers. If not please show an ipconfig /all (see below).

If you get into trouble again with one computer having internet access and another one not then please show ipconfig /all for both PCs.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Computer_Clueles

[​IMG]

I tried the reset router steps ... didn't fix the issue.

Above is an screenshot of what I get when I type in ipconfig /all in the cmd. It repeats the same thing like over 20 times. No other information shows up.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Use this alternative way. Copy from the beginning of the output (it will open in Notepad) through the first Tunnel adapter--we needn't see the other 80.

ipconfig /all >config.txt & config.txt

5. Computer_Clueles

Here's the info I got ...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BLAZiNx6iRL
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter DSL Extreme:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : DSL Extreme
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 66.245.196.63(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.51.205.100
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4E-66-75-2B
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8071 based Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-72-E4-E3-73
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.159.197(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1(Duplicate)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{7D80EE45-26E3-445A-BAC0-1CFA73B2D45D}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

[82 Tunnel Adapters deleted by Mod for readability]

The Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection repeats over and over is that normal ?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know about "normal," but it certainly is not typical. The reason I asked you to just copy up through the first one is that we get no useful information from the others (at least not until IPv6 becomes more used).

If you'd like to get rid of some of the stuff that shows up under the IPCONFIG, you can uninstall some or all of IPv6.

How to disable IPv6 in Windows Vista/Windows 7

IPv6 is enabled by default. It can be disabled by uninstalling the IPv6, or different IPv6 features may be enabled or disabled individually by setting the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

The value can be the combination (logical or) of the following values:
    1 Disable tunnel interfaces
    2 Disable 6to4
    4 Disable ISATAP
    8 Disable Teredo
    16 Disable LAN and PPP interfaces
    32 Set preference of IPv4 over IPv6
    255 Disable IPv6 completely​

For that ipconfig /all how and to what were you connected? It certainly does not look like a normal connection to a router. It looks more like a connection to a DSL modem, or maybe a USB connection to a broadband modem plus an attempted ethernet connection to something else.

7. Computer_Clueles

Thank you for taking the time to help figure this issue out. As stated in my original post thread I was unable to get wireless and wired working together so currently I'm just connecting to the internet via wire connected to my DSL modem. Would be great if I could figure out how to get wired and wireless working rather than just one or the other. :confused:

*UPDATE* : I went into the registry and could not find anything titled Disabled Components ... this is what I got when I went to registry :
    [​IMG]

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know it's a pain to be power cycling the modem and switching back and forth, but I need to see the ipconfig /all for the connection to the router to have any hope of helping.

However, I just realized I forgot to add a caution to the procedure for connecting things; and since I now suspect that you have DSL service the caution is needed: If you have (A)DSL you probably need to configure the router's WAN (Internet) section for PPPoE and your account/password.

I suppose we have to add the DisabledComponents--been way too long for me to remember; I'll modify my canned post. Attached is what mine looks like in Windows 7 32-bit.

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice