1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ip edit in command prompt

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coolman81, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolman81

coolman81 Thread Starter

Im running windows 2000 here at work on the network and the systems have been locked down so we don't have admin privileges. One computer on the network has the IP address form another building so it won't connect in this one. I know the address needed but I'm locked out of windows configuration. Does anyone know how to edit the IP most probably through the windows command prompt or possibly in DOS on bootup?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. gurutech

gurutech

Tell the administrator of the problem and let him/her fix it.

4. coolman81

coolman81 Thread Starter

That would be simple but it would take weeks for them to get off their arses and do it.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q257/7/48.ASP&NoWebContent=1

Code:
    To change to a static address, type the following command: 
    netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static ipaddr subnetmask gateway metric

NOTE: Replace ipaddr with the static IP address, subnetmask with the subnet mask, gateway with the default gateway and, if necessary, metric with the appropriate metric. The following example changes the interface "Local Area Connection" to a static address of 192.168.0.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and the interface has a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 with a metric of 1: 
    netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

6. coolman81

coolman81 Thread Starter

I dont think this works. I tried it on a computer with admin and it worked but on the other computer it says the "local area connection" is not right. I think what is trying to say is it can't access it.

7. Dan O

Dan O

Did you try ARP and PING as I suggested?

8. coolman81

coolman81 Thread Starter

I tried the arp and ping commands and unless I just was an idiot, they don't work. They seem more toward finding and connecting to a ip rather than changing ones own.

9. coolman81

coolman81 Thread Starter

oh and I can't ping the other computer. Since it has a different ip and gateway it wont recognize it.

10. Dan O

Dan O

Can you run REGEDIT?

If so maybe you can change the IP Address by editing the setting at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\{XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX}\Parameters\Tcpip

The value for the X's will be different for PC. If you cannot find it try using Edit/Find and the search word: IPADDRESS.

Good luck.

11. coolman81

coolman81 Thread Starter

I've tried that. I thought I was on to something until it told me I wasn't allowed to change anything...I could look but not touch. I even tried a 98 bootdisk to get me to a dos prompt but there is a third party partition program that the disk doesn't know how to deal with. I found something that would work but it called for an add-on kit to win2000 that I don't have.
    http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsSecurity/Article/ArticleID/20207/20207.html

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice