1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved IP hack?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by KCIR, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:43 PM.

Advertisement
  1. KCIR

KCIR Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rick
    . Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8082 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (843 GB Free); D: 13 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 81EB
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hello, I was using my laptop, and I got this" message screen and audible warning" about some "security" problem w/ a number to call Microsoft? I call the number and I am told I have some sort of IP problem and for a $ they will "fix it". I have never heard of M$ doing this before, anyone have any idea what's going on, sounds like a scam but I'd like to be certain. my Norton says I'm ok and the "wireless" is secure.
    Any advice or is this some sort of scam. The message said that all my info was at risk.
    Thank you
    rick

2. KCIR

KCIR Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rick
    I've run the scan, it discovered 4 different Malware. Are there still good "free Malware"
    programs available? Other than the Malware the scan found no problems. Or have I just "posted" to an "ad"

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's a total scam. Do not let them ANYWHERE near your machine and do not call them again. Some websites are insecure and will have drive-by pages download like this to try and scare people into calling the number. Invariably, they'll claim this nonsense about IP addresses and/or malware, and then ask for a fee to "fix" it. Oftentimes, they will fool people into downloading remote-access software so they can "fix" it when, in fact, they're rooting around in your files to steal what they can.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    And now that they have your phone number, they can call you and tell that you have issues with your computer.
    They will tell you that they are from Microsoft

5. KCIR

KCIR Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rick
    Thank you, I thought something was strange. Problem is though, my wife tells me she had this happen to her and she allowed such access. Any thoughts of what to do ? She said that it happened so many times to her that she finally called. She told me but I didn't think about it till it happened to me. Do they still have access or what? Any advice?
    Thanks again.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In my opinion, once you have something like this affect your systems, the only option I would entertain is to wipe the drive and reload everything. Unless you are really skilled or you can find someone with the skills to scour your entire drive to ensure there is no malicious code any where, it's just hoping you got everything. Even using software programs to remedy systems can be iffy at best.

lochlomonder likes this.
  7. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I concur with zx10guy. Once someone has been in your system, I would consider it compromised.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also don't forget to change every single one of your passwords for any account that was used on that computer.

9. KCIR

KCIR Thread Starter

First Name:
    Rick
    Thank you for you advice it is appreciated. I went to "Norton's" site and found examples of the same scam as I experienced. They have a "Tool" to use for a scan, how effective it is unknown. I used to know a lot more about computer protection and fixes but I just haven't used the computer enough in the past decade to remember everything. One thing I will always remember … how good you people are here.
    Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice